Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: August entry: Go Yurt!

Default August entry: Go Yurt!

Originally was thinking about a prison for a starting point but since I already did one underground map for this month's lite challenge I figured it wasn't in me. Inns and Taverns are obvious but most times I just hate doing the obvious. So round and round my mind spun and I wrote up a whole list of things including a Keep, Tower, Mine, Library (almost did that), and so on about 15 or so locations. Couldn't decide if I wanted it to be a one time place they would never return to or an ongoing hang out until...

It struck me, A YURT! A yurt is a sturdy yet portable structure used by the nomadic peoples of Central Asia and while used as much today it is making a bit of a comeback as a environmentally low impact way to live. The modern day Yurts are built using modern materials and make for some very nice yet affordable living structures. Personally, I have my days where I really wish I did live in one but that's another story. If you are still lost think a cross between a building and a tent.

Anyway, the Yurt can serve as a headquarters so to speak that with a bit of effort can be moved to a new location. It fits in nicely with almost any setting, mid-evil, arabian, even modern if you change up what it's made of.
    For those of you who may know about Yurts, I'm dropping the right side = women's, left = men's traditional stuff.

I should have an image up before I go to bed tonight.

Edit: And here is my sketch, scanned, and then I created the skeleton structure of the Yurt in Gimp.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yurt.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	28133  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 08-18-2010 at 03:30 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yogurht.. I mean Go Yurt..
    Looking good ... as I looked at the thumbnail I thought you made a HUGE on, cause I saw your sketches as houses within a greater hold, but zooming in I got it right ... looking forward to seing it finished
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like a good start Jax...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Heh. Yogurt was my first thought as well. It's a good start and I'm looking forward to the result. Zoomed out it almost looks techie. Maybe you need a dual map: 1) a plains nomad's yurt, and 2) an asteroid miner's SPACE YURT. How can younot do a space yurt? That's the doorway to a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
    M

"Yogurt" was why I used the title "Go Yurt". It seems to have brought the desired effect

Yes, a space yurt, now that is the penultimate goal in Yurtsmanship!
    *large echoing voice* "Yurts in SPAAACE!" Brought to you by the syfi network featuring these historic structures as flying fortresses equipped with rocket propulsion and laser beams. Watch terrifying dog fights unfold before your eyes! *cut to a yurt being blown wide open with woolen rugs and wooden chests pouring out into the vacuum of space*

Haha, it's WAY better than a flying carpet ride baby. Step inside and let's cozy up to the fire in my spinning home of love....

Ok, now see what you did mearrin? I'm all off on a tangent now.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I did expect you to have done that on purpose - how could you not. ... Look around as a voice suddenly fills the room "In next week we'll here Mr. Jax say: "Just spray that big sack of Müsli all over the yurt"
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

*cut to a yurt being blown wide open with woolen rugs and wooden chests pouring out into the vacuum of space*
    No way. Space yurts would totally dominate in a dogfight. Goodbye TIE.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Space yurts would totally dominate
    Dude, that's one of the funniest things I've heard in quite some time. Space yurts have the advantage of being able to be rolled up and put on a camel's back when done mopping up the galaxy with TIE fighters.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Maybe...if it's a SPACE camel. LOL. We'd better quit derailing the yogurt thread now. More yurts! I do still kinda want to see a space yurt though.
    M

I know, I am tempted to go for the space Yurt because it would be just absolutely funny. We should do another funny challenge like the trap one we did a few months back.

I was going to hold off on posting this but what the heck, here's my progress today. It seems I'm going pretty quickly on this which is good because next week I doubt I will have ANY time for it.

I don't have the lighting going on yet so it's basically evenly bright. I think I will need to do some shadows and so on to give it more depth as well. I'm not sure on the poles across the top of the Yurt either, I'm thinking to have them just barely visible kind of like they are now but maybe another color.

In my opinion every adventure party is going to want one of these.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yurt stepsave.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	28154  

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast