Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** August/September Lite Challenge - Rorschach Map Challenge ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default *** August/September Lite Challenge - Rorschach Map Challenge ***

This month's lite challenge is to take the provided abstract map and create any map you want from it. Feel free to use this shape in any way you see fit, as long as the shape is recognisable in the final image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	August_SeptemberMap.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	28139

The lite challenges are for everyone and we'd like to encourage participation from people starting out. This is a good opportunity to take a tutorial, follow it through and get some feedback along the way. This challenge is probably best suited to regional mapmaking - something the guild has tutorials for in abundance. Here's a selection of some of the award winning tutorials for this style:

Making a continent in photoshop
    Ascension's Atlas Style in PS
    Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map
    Hand drawn mtns. and other stylistic map elements for use in PS/GIMP
    Saderan – a tutorial
    Rising up the mountains in Photoshop

Remember to precede any image you post with ### Latest WIP ### so that the thumbnail scraper will pick it up.

This challenge will end on the 15th of September. Good luck everyone!
    Last edited by RobA; 08-19-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: emphasised this is the map to use...

I know I need to get off of these things but I seem to be addicted to the challenges. I'm intrigued by what I can come up with for this so maybe I will do this one as well. Got a huge job coming up next week that is likely going to kick my tail in but we'll see.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I see a man with a train drivers hat and a beard like lincoln walking in the forest
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Cool challenge. I think it'd be awesome if someone managed to use this and *not* to do a regional map somehow. I can't myself conceive of how that would be done but...
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

When I drew this up I came up with 4 different ideas of how this could be used. Let's see if someone can get a 5th or 6th.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Oh, I have an idea for this, just not sure if I can pull it all together by the challenge deadline. Maybe I'll give it a go anyhow as it will be something a bit different from what I've done in the past.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah GW... da wolfe is back
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

If anyone needs inspiration, there's lots you can do with this, as ascension pointed out
    I tossed this together in about 30 mins while waiting for porkchops to cook.. I was going to start adding farms, but there's some other work i really need to do right now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nxb9yu0a copy.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	516.1 KB 
ID:	28237  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

It seems to me this hit a nerve because we don't often get so many entrants for the Lite challenges do we? Either way it's turning out to be a great one.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Huh, imagine that. I wonder why that is Heh heh.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast