Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gw::TerraNoise - Awesome Terrain Noise Generator

There is always Wilbur: http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/software.html

-Rob A>

I've got Wilbur which came with Fractal Terrains, but I kind of liked the ability to create textures. I must actually start a new map rather than fiddling with every new bit of shiny software that comes along!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    but I kind of liked the ability to create textures.
    Maybe I don't understand that this TerraNoise program does then. (I have not tried it).

I though it just let you build heightmaps using a variety of noise function, and perform (mathematical) filtering on them...

-Rob A>

Yes, it does. Sorry I meant heightmaps, not textures (although a side effect of it is that you can create textures as well). As far as I know, Wilbur doesn't create heightmaps using noise functions (although Bryce does). Not to worry I have so much other stuff to occupy me at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Yes, it does. Sorry I meant heightmaps, not textures (although a side effect of it is that you can create textures as well). As far as I know, Wilbur doesn't create heightmaps using noise functions (although Bryce does). Not to worry I have so much other stuff to occupy me at the moment!
    Ah! That is where the confusion came in.

Actually, it will! Here is a link http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/cshelf/index.html

That shows how to used ridged multifractals to generate a "random" globe and apply mathematical functions to create continental shelves!

-Rob A>

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Been playing a little more with TerraNoise...its no Wilbur, but it does give you a bit more control I think than Wilbur does...I figured out how to work the color. Look at this screenshot for a pretty decent world...Its VERY consistent though, and doesn't create things like deserts and erosion and whatnot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moreterranoise.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	301.2 KB 
ID:	1719  
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Guild Applicant

It looks good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12