Thread: The World of Gericka... or something like that

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Default The World of Gericka... or something like that

Well, I originally scribbled up the first maps to this world when I was oh, 10. Fast forward 12 years and a lot of trial and error, and I came up with some almost alright looking maps from CC3. What I need isn't really feedback on these maps, but ways that I can easily translate what I have here into a nice looking finished product, like you'd get from RobA's tutorial here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...gional-RPG-Map

Mostly, I just wanted to get reactions about this. I didn't learn via tutorials when I was using CC3, I just trial-and-error-ed (oh so many errors) my way through, and muddled these out. I'm trying to actually go about learning GIMP, but... well, I'd like to know where you guys think I should go to learn that as well, if you have any ideas. Sorry for rambling on like this in my first non-introductory post! Thanks in advance for the feedback!
    -Screen Name

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ravinost.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	28155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plesara.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	28156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Endramel.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	28157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teroya.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	503.0 KB 
ID:	28158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gericka.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	346.8 KB 
ID:	28159

There are a number of tutorials here for various styles and using various tools, so pick something and give it a "follow-along" but leave room for your own trial and error as you go!

Any of those could be converted into different styled maps.... just pick a look you like!

-Rob A>

Guild Novice

Default Redux

Okay, so here's a not completely finished (I don't get much time to work on it atm) version of Teroya, according to RobA's tutorial I linked previously. I've gotten down to the cities part, and although I've tried to do every step, some failed, or I just didn't do well enough at it to make it look good... I guess the name of the game here is "I'm not terribly patient". Just figured I'd post what I've done so far, and ask a question: What can I do to make my rivers A) Change to the correct color, and B) not look so much like toddler's scribbles?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Teroya.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	487.5 KB 
ID:	28305

If you are in Gimp I would "select" the rivers one by one holding down the shift key so they are all highlighted (Unless you already have the rivers on separate layer). Create a new layer called rivers. The shape of the rivers should still be selected so now you just want to put some color in them. What I do for a quick river is 'Filters/Render/Clouds/Plasma' (go for as even a distribution as you can get) then use 'Colors/Colorize' and change it to whatever blueish color you like.

You may then have to fiddle with the layers mode to use 'overlay', 'merge', 'multiply' whatever.

You could skip the rendering of the plasma but that would mean you just drag blue to the selected rivers. It wouldn't have much character.

edit: I'm doing this from memory so hopefully I didn't skip anything important. Sorry if I loose you there but I'm not even sure if you are using Gimp. Oh, and don't feel bad if you can't follow a tutorial I have yet to be able to finish one either.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice

yep, using gimp, and while I like it, my understanding of it is, pardon the pun, gimpy at best. I'll check it out, but no, I just brushed the rivers onto the grass layer, which works okay, except for the coloring... I'll try your method. Thanks for the tip! (P.S. I hate playing with layers, but it seems that's the easiest way to do this.)

Yeah, layers were weird to get used to but once you do you might love them. It makes changing things later on so sweet It went against my grain a bit at first as well.

Hehe, I sort of felt like layers were for people who didn't have the balls to touch their art. Course now my only issue with them is when I forget and start working on the wrong one, grrrrrr!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice

yeah, i did that a few times... I'm just glad this thing stores a lot of undo history

Guild Novice

So here's a question for RobA:
    I'm reading your tutorial, I restarted because I have a hard time staying on task, and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I was wondering what the point of clipping is? Like, making a layer called Land Clip? I just don't understand the point of it, it seems like I'm just kinda hiding some pieces of land. I dunno, maybe it's all important and I just don't get it, but explain if you would. Thanks!

Guild Novice

aaaand it seems i answer my own question: it's to make defining a coast easier, right? heh, I figured out something was up when I couldn't get the fuzzy select to go in very far.