Thread: Hello all.

Default Hello all.

I found this place by accident but I love the creativity of communities like these, so I thought I'd join up.

I'm a professional artist in the video game industry. I primarily specialize in illustration and conceptual design. My favorite genre would have to be science fiction but I love fantasy as well. Most of the art I do on my free time is related to a science fiction universe I've been working on for the past four years. It's a fun little hobby for me and strangely enough I've made maps of my own for it. So, I suppose I have kindred spirits here.

I haven't had time to look around as I've just joined but from the vibe of this community it looks likes it's fantasy oriented. I don't have much fantasy art, much less fantasy cartography and I'm not sure what the bias is with sci-fi here... So I don't know if I should post the maps from that here.

Anyways, it's fun looking at everyone's work.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Glad to have ya here; you're career is probably one of the most sought after and, therefore, you can help us amateurs make our stuff better. None of us will probably ever go into your line of work, being that we're old crusty dudes with good jobs already, but your insights and tips could be immensely helpful.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

There's no sci-fi/fnatasy bias. We just get more fantasy maps by volume. Please do post them! Welcome to the guild.

Ascension may be crusty and I may be old but I've got a barnacle scrubber so I'm still good Welcome aboard it's good to have another Sci-fi guy around here. I love fantasy but there is only so much you can take if you know what I mean, so I'm looking forward to your influence I will try to join you as one of areas I want to pursue is more sci-fi.

I figure it must have been the call of the Space Yurt that caught your eye? I knew mearrin and I were on to something with that!

Welcome aboard!

ps. someone recently tried to nominate me for a oddness award or something so if you don't understand me, no worries
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Yeah, to echo, we do sci-fi, modern and real world maps as well. There has been traveller, star wars, shadowrun, Dr who, Banks's Culture one, galactic maps - all sorts tho more people do fantasy than any other genre. I'm a (old version) light wave user too tho not Maya unfortunately and created a little 3D art for one very old PC game. Game creation appears fun but the 'crunch' hours for a coder seem a bit too sadistic for me. Around here we also do traditional board game maps and the very occasionally some digital game maps. Do you have a link to your out of hours sci-fi universe ?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild, as mentioned above the average age (at least of the regulars) are quite high so we're mostly in it for fun ... I personally look forward to seing more sci-fi maps, I'm mostly in to fantasy myself but I just love a good map no matter the genre
    Swing by the tutorial section if needed and then post in a WIP thread for help and critique
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave