Thread: Cover for map pack - thoughts?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Cover for map pack - thoughts?

I've got a collection of map packs and I'm updating them to the current version of maptools. I thought I'd take the opportunity to update the covers a little whilst I'm at it. This is what I have so far. Any criticisms would be great. I don't want to rebuild these again any time soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	28180

I like it, it reminds me of an Encyclopedia set I used to have. You might try running that black leather down the left side of the cover so it looks like it wraps around the spine. See the 2nd shelf here.

That's about the only thing I could think of. You've done such a good job already with it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I like that there is a colored map and also a sketchy version. Great job with the text too, it looks fantastic. I think that the whole design goes together.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Looking pretty slick! maybe you want some more info on the cover (like the number or type of maps, that they are full-color, or some USP things like that they are compliant with maptools...) cheers!

DJ made me realize another point. You might want to number the packs so that folks who are buying will see they are buying map pack 5. Thus, they may say, "Hey, this guy has 4 other packs before this one, I should check those out too." Not that I think you are worried about a following, I'm sure everyone who knows about these is well familiar with your work. Plus, they could look it up with a little google-fu. If you do it though, I would recommend using roman numerals because they just look cool. See, now there I go giving up all my good ideas....

I guess if I get around to doing this one day I am just going to have to wrap mine in Gunny sack. <-- don't steal that one, I might actually do it
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

A Gunny sack - had to google that one. Would be pretty cool though. Numbering them is a good idea - would be good to have a few more serial elements threaded through them so that people get some value from getting them in order... Interesting thoughts.

@DJ Thanks. The empty space will be used for things like the maptool logo and the PF compatible logo as and when the appropriate content updates are done.

I'm wondering whether it needs corner elements or a more formal border. Also, wondering if I should do something to the name at the bottom right rather than leaving it in pain black type. Not sure.

Thanks for the input!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd do the byline in something scripty or Celtic but otherwise everything looks fine, so much is personal preference. The cover reminds me a bit of the Points of Light cover in layout but that's a good thing, keep it simple.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really like it - looks really good. I'd take the advice above about numbering it and telling whats on the inside (if that information isn't elsewhere). Really like the map continuing in b/w on the outside of the frame.
    I seem to recall you working on a logo - I'd use that for greater recognizion than just your name
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise