Thread: Auralia , a touring map

Guild Apprentice

Wip Auralia , a touring map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finishedAuralia.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	28182
    Hi, This is my second map. It is done with Gimp and Ps. I used Gimp for making the map, brushes and patterns and Ps for the text.
    I am not really happy with the folding marks on the map. I tried in Gimp and Ps (gradients , -difference mode-, blur and emboss). I would be happy to learn of another technique to achieve this effect.
    I also tried to use the displace filter with the emboss layer to "wrap the map" around the folds but was not happy with the result so I decided to not worry about it.
    I welcome any and all comments.
    I would like to improve the fold marks and edge of the map (height from background and displacement due to folds and crinkles) and welcome suggestions to that effect.
    Cheers Surveyor
    Last edited by Surveyor; 08-19-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

You could find a picture of an old peice of paper from deviant art to use as the displacement map. Make sure the paper and map are the same size. Image->Adjustments->Desaturate on the paper and save as psd. Go back to the map and Filter->Distort->Displace with 10 for Horizontal Scale and Verticle scale, Stretch to fit and wrap around for the other two settings. Select the paper and your image will distort a little. Then on a new layer on the map, put the paper on a layer above the map and set the paper's layer style to color burn or hard light.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Looks very good so far. The text is a bit too compressed IMO and hard to read if you use it as a touring map.

It really looks like a touring map. Well done!

Who are these aborigines though?

Guild Apprentice

Thank You for your replies.
    @cjs0216, I am trying out your suggestion but not having much luck. I will persist though.
    @Katto , if you zoom in on the map so that it looks like 60 0r 70 cm (like a real map) it is quite readable. If I work with a 60 cm canvas the files and layers get awfully big., So I work with 2000 pixel canvas and zoom to render detail. I don't really see a way around this. I believe the problem is in the display which is 72 or 96 pixels (I think). The map is made in 300 ppi and if you print it on A4 photographic paper it is quite readable and sharp. I would be pleased if you can offer suggestions on how to do this better.
    @Trexmaster, The Auralian indigenous population is similar to the Australian indigenous population. They are the traditional owners of Auralia , just like the aboriginals are the traditional owners of Australia before white settlement. Although Auralia and Australia are very similar they should not be confused, Auralia lies West of Australia. In Australia you need approval to traverse some of the Aboriginal Reserves!

Surveyor
    Last edited by Surveyor; 08-20-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really good. To comment on the shadows, I believe they are to big - the map is floating high in the sky - make them just under the map to make it look like its lies there then with a little notch where the folds are.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Novice Facebook Connected darren_kitlor's Avatar

That's a damn fine map!

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    looks really good. To comment on the shadows, I believe they are to big - the map is floating high in the sky - make them just under the map to make it look like its lies there then with a little notch where the folds are.
    Thanks Tilt , Ill have a go at it tomorrow, together with another attempt to make the folds more realistic.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually right now the folds looks like you've glued the map to a cardboard but botched it a little so you got folds
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

What sort of problems are you having with it? I did mean to tell you that your map should be a picture file rather than a .psd. So export your map to a .jpg or something and then do what I've said above. The only .psd you'll be working with is the paper after you've desaturated it and blurred it. My apologies for not pointing that out earlier.
    Last edited by cjs0216; 08-20-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast