Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RPGtonight Saturday Night Rumble starts Nov. 17th

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    I'll put it this way, MapTool can pretty much do everything that OpenRPG can do, and is growing on a weekly basis with incredible support and user driven features.
    The two things that prevent me from moving to MapTool:

Only 100 chat macros, just one of my character nodes has over 130 entries that would be considered chat macros by MapTool.

Aliases. OpenrRPG allows me to setup chat aliases (not command aliases which they both have) so I can quickly change between characters each with uniquely colored text (or not if I choose). I can change to any alias I've previously made with a single mouse click. The only way I've found to accomplish something like this in MapTool is to use the /im command and set the text color manually.
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

MapTool uses both Token and Button Macros now. Combined you'll easily have your 130.

MapTool has an Impersonate command that lets you impersonate any token you want. This changes the image in front of the text to that of the token.

Like I said, changes happen every week and there is a whole list of future changes up. Best of all we the users now have direct control of what changes happen next via the "wall of features".

So, now that those are out of the way, can we expect you to adopt MapTool soon.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

MapTool uses both Token and Button Macros now. Combined you'll easily have your 130.

MapTool has an Impersonate command that lets you impersonate any token you want. This changes the image in front of the text to that of the token.
    Yes, that would be /im correct?

Like I said, changes happen every week and there is a whole list of future changes up. Best of all we the users now have direct control of what changes happen next via the "wall of features".
    To be honest, having to learn new features every week would be a big detractor for me unless I am actually beta testing.

So, now that those are out of the way, can we expect you to adopt MapTool soon.
    Hehe, the two of us will constantly be at odds over this.

It is the /im command, but note that it puts the image in front of the line now.

Well, it isn't actually every week, however, yes it is the development version so it would be beta, and the "having to learn" part is very minute.

What I'm trying to say, is why not come put your two cents in and make it a better solution for you and for us. We have a couple new members that are ORPG users and giving lots of input.

Of course, we don't have to be at odds you know. Come, step away from the dark side. Join the light.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Of course, we don't have to be at odds you know. Come, step away from the dark side. Join the light.
    Okay, we've invested in ORPG foer the past two years and have no complaints, so I really see no reason to change--unless there are some amazing features I do not yet know that MT has that I don't yet know?

Maybe it's YOU, Darth Rob, who is on the wrong side of that line...
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Well, what version of MapTool have you looked at recently? Version 1.3 b21 is currently in the works.

A better question would be, what would MT have to have to pull you away from ORPG?

Post OT: OpenRPG & MapTool

It is the /im command, but note that it puts the image in front of the line now.

Well, it isn't actually every week, however, yes it is the development version so it would be beta, and the "having to learn" part is very minute.

What I'm trying to say, is why not come put your two cents in and make it a better solution for you and for us. We have a couple new members that are ORPG users and giving lots of input.

LOL.... "I'll never join you!" Of course, I won't be plunging to an uncertain fate down the nearest air shaft. I was going to mention the recent converts from MapTool to OpenRPG (4 fellow GURPSers) in my previous post but refrained.

What it really comes down to is you're asking me to fix something that isn't broken and throw away the work I've personally put into the OpenRPG code base. Speaking of that, I've yet to see a way in MapTool to evaluate GURPS Success Rolls properly (even with using Tables).

Success depends on the skill level, e.g. Lockpicking (15), and the roll must be equal to or less than the skill level on 3d6. To complicate matters 3 or 4 is always a Critical Success, 5 is a CS with skill 14+ and 6 is a CS with skill 15+. Yet another twist is that 18 is always a Critical Failure, 17 is always a failure but is also a CF with skill 15 and lower, and any roll that fails by 10 or more is a CF. MapTool's tables are fine for look-up tables but they can't handle the logic required to compare a roll against variable skill levels UNLESS I make a table for every skill that each character has. Currently, that would mean making 75 full tables for my character alone. I guess I could make

I accomplish the same thing in OpenRPG with one dieroller, which correctly evaluates skill rolls for any skill level and includes seven lookup tables, and one character sheet that I can edit in any text editor. The dieroller also reports what the margin of success or failure is as well, which is used in a whole other type of contest in GURPS.

For maps, MapTools wins hands down. For power and flexibility on the chat and dice rolling side, OpenRPG is unmatched. We use maybe five maps a year, we use dice rolls every game session.....

I am a long time GURPS player myself. I ran a campaign that lasted about 3 years before I got burned out so I know the roll mechanics as you've outlined. There was a recent thread posted that had pretty much everything you needed to run GURPS in MapTool, and recent new dice mechanics that allow for a lot more flexibility in that area as well.

Regardless, I understand what you are saying as well as the time investment in the game and software, and honestly I don't care what you use. I was more interested in why you wouldn't use MT than in trying to convert you to it, and also point out that it is still growing and improving on a regular basis.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am a long time GURPS player myself. I ran a campaign that lasted about 3 years before I got burned out so I know the roll mechanics as you've outlined. There was a recent thread posted that had pretty much everything you needed to run GURPS in MapTool, and recent new dice mechanics that allow for a lot more flexibility in that area as well.

Regardless, I understand what you are saying as well as the time investment in the game and software, and honestly I don't care what you use. I was more interested in why you wouldn't use MT than in trying to convert you to it, and also point out that it is still growing and improving on a regular basis.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I'll have to hunt down the thread about rolling for GURPS because I can't make a truly informed decision without understanding the "dark side" now can I? If you happen to have a link handy, PM it to me if you would?

EDIT

Please note that any "menace" that may be present in any of my OpenRPG posts is merely theatrical. I may pound my fist on the virtual table top and shout that OpenRPG is the best VTT for the money <snicker> but I'll still buy you a drink when we leave the room!
    Last edited by Naryt; 12-06-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast