Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Docks of Haibianr

Default The Docks of Haibianr

Hi all,
    This is a map that will appear on the inside rear cover of my upcoming adventure Curse of the Emperor's Stone. The basic premise is that the PCs have come to Haibianr as laborers aboard a ship (Scalante) - they're "Westerners" in an exotic "Eastern" city and soon find themselves in a bit of a sticky situation:

Curse of the Emperor's Stone is an adventure about an artifact: The Emperor’s Stone. While this long-lost treasure of the First Emperor offers its bearer, over time, great power, it often brings more woe than weal. When one of the adventure’s heroes, through an unfortunate series of events, winds up becoming the artifact’s “Chosen One” he and his associates quickly find themselves on a run-away rickshaw ride that just won’t end…at least until they find a way to rid themselves of the Emperor’s Stone once and for all.
    So, this is the map of the docks area where the PCs arrive. They'll spend a couple of days in this area as the situation builds and then set off at some point to deal with the Emperor's Stone...and all of the folks that want it. Most of the buildings will be detailed (with at least a basic description, if not NPCs, etc.) for the GM to use in running encounters in this area. The final map will have a key overlaid.

I want to thank everyone that commented and made suggestions on the WiP thread. You guys were most helpful! Hope you like the map.
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Docks1.png 
Views:	375 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	27936  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 08-09-2010 at 03:34 AM.

Excellent indeed! If my reppy thing does anything worth having, you have it!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Guild Adept

Love the compass rose. Lot's of little details. This is the kind of map that inspired me to make maps in the first place. Repped.

This looks real good! Well done! I have not followed the WIP so I just see the result. I love the original map and have nothing to critisize except the ship's decks seem too simple. A bit of structure would be more consistent with the rest of the map IMO.

Thanks all for the comments...and the rep. Actually I noticed some problems with shadows after I posted this and so took the opportunity to fix them and a couple of other things (including adding a couple of bits and bobs that I think improve the look). Hopefully it's not *too* unorthodox to replace a map in a finished map thread.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I dub thee newly repped *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

wow...i only hope that one day i can create maps of this stature...excellent job, man
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Wow Mear - that really looks excellent! The water and the docks themselves are so nice. The shadows from the masts of the ship on the pier is awesome as well.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

This map is truly amazing. Just curious what resolution you create this in? The file size must be massive.

Thanks, guys! Appreciate the comments and the rep!

@RjBeals: It's not so large actually. I posted it at 75% so the original is 1,700 px x 2,200 px or 8.5" x 11" at 200 ppi, as I am intending to print it on a single page but wanted a bit extra in case I needed it. The file is 89.1 MB on disc. I was working slightly larger when I started (same print size at 300 ppi) but the file size kept creeping up (especially before I collapsed some of the layers) so I reduced it.
    M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast