Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The world of Hamerôn

Default The world of Hamerôn

Hey guys this is my new work. It's a map for a friend of mine who's going to start a new RPG campaign.

Lots of work, I work with photoshop and hand paiting using some textures and some splater brushes. most of the coloring is based on a tutorial that DJ posted with my own touch of madness. Thanks DJ!

Feedback pleeeaaaaaasseeee!

PS: I Dont know how to post thumbnails, sorry. =/

PS2: Here's the link of the original first map that I based the map. http://pt-br.messia.wikia.com/wiki/Mapa_de_Hamer%C3%B4m It's in Brazilian Portuguese. have fun.

PS3: Now it has thumbnail and a bigger version! thanks Katto!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapa hameron lowres.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	28203  
    Last edited by betomuraro; 08-20-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: forgot a detail

I like the "chaotic" look of it, but it is hard to see the details.
    If you click the "Go advanced" button you can upload your image under "Attachments". A thumbnail will be generated automatically

I do like the style of it, you've clearly put a lot of effort into making each region distinct and I wouldn't touch a thing about the quality. The only thing I could possibly say against this piece is that the richness of the violet in the bordering oceans draws the eye away, distracting from the more neutral colors you've used on the continent and coastline.

The work you've put into it is fantastic, but I can't help but feel toning down the contrast between the ocean and the rest of it would balance the image a little more.

In fact this deep blueish portion of sea was an unespected effect after I merged some layers with the colors ending with that dark blue, but before i read what you said, I liked that way, now I'm starting to reconsider unfortunately the map is already printed, my friend said it was fantastic and has also created a charcter on his world, an old mad cartographer mage with my name! Awesome!!!

Thanks for the advice btw!!!

Oh my! I feel rejected!.... I was expecting a little more advices from you guys because I thougt my work was so great!! Is my little colorful map that bad???
    Last edited by betomuraro; 08-21-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Heya. I wouldn't expect a lot of advice and suggestions on a map posted in the finished map forum as folks browsing it assume it's...well...finished. Sometimes you get a "next time you should do X" sort of comment. Mostly the forum's for memorializing a map's completion and to get a little well-deserved praise. Also, some people seem to comment in batches. I know I do, when I get the time I try to praise a map I think is noteworthy or offer some help if I can. Time's sometimes limited, though.

So, on topic. Great map you've got there. I actually like the bright colors...I always use muted colors on my maps but I do like when others don't! Have some rep!
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sometimes I just can't find the words so it takes me a few days before something pops into my head. So, for what it's worth, I love the colors but I think that I'd scrap the inked icons for everything and do this in a painted style all the way through. Nonetheless, it's a very cool map.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks guys! I am very happy when someone takes a little time to see and pay attention on my job, it feels like it worth doing it since I aways do thes maps for my friends with no charge! My only interest is become better and better as I take it as a hobbie that could add more to my knowdlege pool! Thanks again!

And Ascention since the beggining I thought to do the way you segest, but I just could find the fitting techinique yet, maybe with my recent bought wacom! o/

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can't do painted style either, some sort of mental block, so if you manage it then be sure ti help a brother out here
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Heya, thanks for trying out the tutorial! I really like what you did with it. I think the colors (aye maybe the sea is a bit purplish but that could work style-wise if you desaturate it a little) came out very good and I like the border and the finishing 'striped' texture you used. As for the handdrawn symbols, I agree that currently they don't match the style. They may work like this but now they dont blend in, so I think I would use a dark-brownish color for them and blend them in the map using a lower opacity or something (and maybe color them or give them a grey-scale value, as well. Also then you may lose some some small issues like the city on victoria island which has its tower 'in the sea'). I think I then also would do the rivers in the same color/style as the cities/trees/mountains so they match better in the overall picture. Well.. just my thoughts... And btw, gratz that you now got an old mad cartographer mage named called after you cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast