Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: WIP - Battlemaps for Curse of the Emperor's Stone...

Bunks!??? The wimps!
    Seriously, tho, bunks, while comfy, are rubbish in a storm - even a deep swell means you just fall out. Hammocks are really the de rigeur "thing" for your tough old sea dog! Also saves space for cargo.
    Apparently Columbus's crews slept on deck there was so much cargo. Crew numbers surprised me initially but is actually about right after a quick check around.I imagine you've been using figures based on Columbus who had 2 Caravels and a Carrack I think?
    Anyway, it looks great!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Hmmm. I was going to do just hammocks but I really couldn't figure out how to fit enough of them in. And I thought it'd look a little strange unless I drew them all independently...a copy-paste thing would get too regular there. How would you mount a bunch of hammocks? Put in some upright posts?
    M

Well, structurally, there will be "roof beams" or rather joists for the deck above, and they'd likely have hooks/pegs on those, so in essence they hang from the "ceiling". There may also be poles to support the joists but doubtful here. This puts your crew close to the ceiling (and that's not usually all that high!) so more space undeneath for cargo. Easy.
    You can also jam them in coz the hammock wraps around you somewhat. 3ft width each would be ample. When things get rough they all swing together...
    Remember also that likely only about a 3rd to a half of the crew will be sleeping at any one time and chances are they use the same hammocks. Aaaaand, when not in use, you just unhook one end and hook it up to the other end - easy to stow.

Addendum:
    As a matter of interest, have you had a play with this Ketchup file?
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...55&prevstart=0
    It's really rather good.

Oh, hang on! Bigger ship and all but
    http://www.stvincent.ac.uk/Heritage/...ory/lower.html
    Last edited by Crayons; 10-05-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Addendum:
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Well, that ship battlemap just keeps getting more and more complex...so here's an interlude. This will be a schematic map depicting a chase scene from a tea shop (the yellow dot next to the green one on the left side of the map), where the PCs have been consulting with a local expert, to the city university library (the green dot on the right side of the map), where their "consultant" will help them figure out the nature of the situation they've stumbled into. Hot on their heels is a handful of Lushou thugs, who've just tossed the consultant's shop (the upper yellow dot on the left side of the map) and are looking for the PCs. Fortunately there are rickshaws right outside the tea shop and the PC, their consultant, and their interpreter can hop a couple and try to elude their pursuers. They'll have a little bit of a head start and have several chances to pull far enough ahead to lose the bad guys.

This is sort of conceptual at this point. The yellow circles are points of interest, the blue line is the main route from the tea shop to the library. The green circles are start and end points. The red and orange ones are "action" and "decision" points. I haven't fully designed the game mechanics for the chase yet...so I'll have to do that before I can finalize the map itself (and add labels). Just trying to get something on paper. Any C&C for the look of the thing is welcome.

Oh, and my artist came through with a pic of the "consultant" - allow me to introduce Lao Shu (lit. old rat). He's a friendly, wily curator of a curious curio shop. If he looks creepy it's because he's supposed to. You've seen this guy in ten movies. He's the sort of fellow that'll sell you a mogui along with cryptic warnings about not getting it wet or feeding it after midnight...
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lushou-chase---300-dpi---v2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	387.4 KB 
ID:	29983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaoShu.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	29984  

Since I'm not making much progress on maps tonight I'll share a couple of NPC concept sketches from my artist. The first is Xiaolong, the group's "interpreter" - who ends up helping out some strangers in a strange land. The second is Captain Aldo Bonisi, master and owner of Scalante. Again, these are just rough concept sketches...not the final deal.

Maybe I'll have a map update later. Trying to get caught up on several things so I'm not sure.
    M
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really good mearrin - love the concept sketches too
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The sketches are quite nice...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456