Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I create ice shelf?

This is an interesting idea with the colors. I'll just try it, thanks.

There is no way to use google earth online, I have to download it, right?

Go to google maps. If you can get any satellite photos of the ice shelves there then take some screen captures, then go to photoshop and paste it into a new document. Then crop out everything leaving only the parts you want. Turn the image black and white and then up the contrast so that you get a mostly solid black and white- like a alpha map. Use this to make a ice shelf brush. Do it multiple times so that you have a myriad of brush types that you can then use in concert to create unique shapes in your image. Stamp in outlines of the ice on your work in a new layer and when you get what you want then lasso select the layer so everything you've stamped in (which should be a solid color) will be selected. Hit CTRL-H to hide the lasso and then start painting in the ice details in a new layer on top of the old one or just paint over it. That's what I'd do. Hope it helps.

I got this by using the 'cracks' plug-in filter from the Alienskin Xenoflex 2 filter pack. They're a bit pricey but I use them all the time. The clouds filter (10 times better than the PS one) is worth the price alone for mapping. It doesn't look quite like the pictures you've posted, but I think it's not bad. I smoothed the edges a bit and added a black stroke, but you could play around with it to get the general effect you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ice.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	341.1 KB 
ID:	28351  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you don't want to download Google Earth then use what I use...flashearth.com Here's a screenie of someplace north of Canada.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	28353  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

@ tovette:
    I was on google maps, but did not find any ice shelf regions. I'm still there, scrolling around the world. I'll hold my eyes open and try out your method soon, if I found something. Thanks.
    @ Ravells:
    Your result is really nice. I think I have heard about that filter stuff some time ago. Seems to be quite useful. If I'm ever in the mood to buy plugins for ps, I will definitely think about Xenoflex.

@ Ascension:
    I found flashearth.com some moments ago, as I was searching for an online version of google earth. Thanks for the screenie! That was right that what I needed. Nice find!

Uhm ... how awesome must it be to create such an image with photoshop ??? Oh no ... I can't resist ... must try this style ... aaaah ...

Quabbe

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is the goal I've been working towards for 5 years and CalvinKyle is closer to it than I am. I guess that if I could create an image 25,000 miles across I could approximate the awesomeness of our earth.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12