Thread: Why are always so many guests online?

Default Why are always so many guests online?

Hey there,

maybe a stupid question, but I ask it myself every time I see how many guests are online. Like yet, 12 members and 38 guests are online.

Are these simply regular but unregistered guests, browsing around the forum, or are these searchingbots or anything else? It just interests me.

Quabbe

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Probably a combination of 'lurkers' and spam-bots, etc.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Can you even 'lurk' on this site? I thought you had to be a member to see any attachments posted here so a guest would have to join first before starting to 'lurk'.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

You can read the text of posts but you have to join to see the attachments, you're correct there LonewandererD. It's how I ended up here. I was able to read through the various tutorials but had to join in order to see the attachments illustrating them. By the time I had read through a handful of tutorials, I was hooked.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You can join but just never say anything - that's lurking, guests are visitors who haven't registered and, therefore, can't see the pics except on the main page. I'm pretty sure that the spambots won't register but many of the visitors will. I don't know the actual numbers but I would guess that we get the guests to become members at the rate of about a dozen a day...that's pretty good. A lot of folks don't have anything to add to a discussion that hasn't already been said (I don't say anything if it has already been covered), some folks are afraid to say anything cuz they might get jumped or that they might sound stupid or condescending, some just want to look at pretty pics and never come back, and some are just looking for maps to D&D adventures...I guess there are a few real-world pros who do different kinds of mapping (like the real stuff) who come here either by accident or just to check up on interesting new ideas for using the software or for inspiration. Doesn't bother us, every eye is a word of mouth to someone else and that's how we grow. It would bother me if we only had like 1 guest and 138 members online.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

They are mostly harvesters scraping the site for information like indexing but unless they call themselves a bot then its impossible to know that they are. I think the lurkers must get a login and then not post which is sorta ok so long as they aren't wholesale scraping the images away and re posting them. The members and lurkers are probably more responsible for slowdowns of the site than the indexer bots tho.

Guild Apprentice

I am a lurker by most standards. I am new to this site and it will take me another month or two to get to know the site. In the mean time I just like to "eavesdrop" on conversations and threads to see what interests people on this site. I am also blown away by some of the art stuff and find it very enjoyable to examine the maps in detail . As a newby in cartography, I feel inadequate to offer opinions or suggestions. I think that there will be many others who will feel the same way as I do. I am a member of other forums including most Gimp forums and I am a moderator on a completely different forum. Most "lurkers" are people who are interested and admire your work , consider it a form of flattery!
    Cheers
    Surveyor