Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tips of Dwarven Cartographical Styles

Blog Entries

I'd expect such a map to maybe look more like a flowchart than a "x-ray bird's eye" picture of the city. The important thing is how everything connects together. The Dwarves probably don't care about the specific shape.

Quote Originally Posted by tovette View Post
    As an illustrator, I'd suggest when using color for a dwarven map, that straight gray is not a good tone to use with other colors. It's a complimentary color but doesn't hold it's own as a primary tone. Anything in real life that is supposed to be 'gray' is usually in one of two camps when painting something- it's a warm gray or a cool gray. Meaning that there is either a tinge of red or blue/violet mixed in. usually about 15-20% of color. This will give the perception of something that looks gray but really isn't completely flat. It will make your palette look more pleasing to look at.
    That is great advice. I remember my art teachers back in the day saying it was better to mix your colors to make black than just use black. Similar reason, it has more eye-play or character. Besides, it's pretty hard to really find something that is absolutely black.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep - in the printing industry we also work with black and deep black which is more black than black *lol* ... so we use forinstance 100% black and then add up to 100% of either cyan (cold black) or magenta (warm black). Or one could mix a little, as long as the percentages doesn't go higher than what the paper can take. (and yes - that is more than 100%)
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

More black than black, I like that. Blacker than black, I hit the sack.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123