Thread: Hate to be a whiner

Default Hate to be a whiner

If there is one thing that bugs me all the time with our site it is that the icon for new posts is totally bogus. I often get finished reading everything in a post, (ie: the current challenge), only to go back to the forums main page and see the lit icon indicating there are new posts in that thread. I go there and nope, it's all been read. I refresh, I got back to the start and sometimes it updates but plenty of times it does not.

So basically, I'm whining about it in the hopes that we have an answer.

I know you can click on 'new posts' and it sounds like many do exactly that because of this faulty light. That's fine but I'm obviously a visual person so I like that little light.

It's like one of my cars that shows the "Check Engine" light all the time. There is nothing wrong, we've taken it to the Mechanic and unless we just want to pay for a new connector on whatever it is, there is nothing to do. So we live with it, but it still bugs me just a little every time I drive that car.

Maybe it's my browser settings? I'm using Chrome atm but it was doing this with Firefox as well.

If we can't worry about this that's ok, I just need to know.

Thanks for your support, you guys all rock like the Beetles.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

If you use the back button then your browser runs the page from the cache which will show the old highlight. You need to do a cache refresh and sometimes hitting refresh is not enough - you need a full refresh or a cache clear out then showing the forum posts should get the browser fetching the page from the site again.

Personally I hate the default unread posts and I use a search on the latest posts instead. The crucial difference is that the unread posts drop posts you have just read so if you go into one then think ohh I know a link on that, ill do a quick search on the site get the relevant post and then go back then its dropped it for you and you cant find it again. So if you look at the unread posts, mark all as read then look at unread posts it says there are no unread posts - would you like the most recent ? Yes yes I say. So I nicked that search link and its on my sig as well cos I use that now.

Hope that helps.

BTW: Full refresh on Firefox is Ctrl F5 not just F5.
    Checked here and mine fixes it with an F5 or a ctrl F5 but I have an slightly unusual internet connection anyway so YMMV.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-21-2010 at 06:48 PM.

We talked about my internet connection once before. FYI, I usually navigate by reading in an area and then clicking the "Forums" tab at the upper left to go back to the top tier. I don't know what the issue is.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

I usually leave my browser open all the time until it starts to get sluggish.