Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August Entry : Lost Hope

Default August Entry : Lost Hope

I was checking out this month's entries when I was hit with a sudden bout of inspiration. For several months now, I have been obsessed with a game called Eclipse Phase. For those who are unfamiliar, it can best be described as a science fiction/conspiracy/horror game. It's kind of like Cthulhu in space, really.

I really like starting campaigns out "In Medias Res" and this works particularly well in a game like Eclipse Phase where mystery, secrets, and threat of the unknown are very prevalent. So, the idea for this campaign starts out with the characters investigating the ruins of a martian habitat that was destroyed over a decade ago. I wanted a map that would not only illustrate the habitat itself, but also the surrounding area where the early portion of the campaign will likely take place.

The overall theme of the campaign will revolve around the four horsemen of the apocalypse. The ruined habitat "Lost Hope" will be the jumping off point for the first of these, pestilence. The characters will have to figure out what is going on and stop a particularly nasty plague from spreading from habitat to habitat.

Anyways, this is what I've got so far...the blank space will likely contain a lot of text.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mars-project-WIP.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	28263  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Love it! Nice colors. Did you make that mars shot yourself or is it a doctored image? Looks yummy. Really like that double-hex thing you've got going on in the text area. Text is a little difficult to read but, hey, it's sci-fi. Might make any dense text you add in a more readable font, however. Looking forward to seeing it progress.
    M

That's a doctored satellite photograph. I'm about 99% sure I'm going to go back and hand paint one in the morning. Now that I'm looking at the doctored photo I'm not real happy having used it.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Well I dig it but I understand what you mean. Won't hold it against you if you keep it.
    M

Wow!
    I'm kinda lost for words - which is a rarity! Aside from the fact that I love sci-fi anyway - the colour scheme and little details like the data overlay are brilliant.
    My one VERY nitpicky thing that also gets me in films is the nature of the actual data IN the overlay. It's all very cinematic to scroll tons of binary data around but it's not "realistic"! Only robots could read it and they'd just plug in somewhere...
    However, it's very nitpicky of me and says alot for the fact that I can't find fault in anything else! Perhaps a bit more fade on the atmosphere???? Is it too thick? To be honest, I dunno.
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

cool entry
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Happy with it or not, still a cool idea.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Updated with some text...also tweaked a couple of other things. Still fighting with the satellite view of Mars.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	mars-project-WIP-2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	28304  

My Albums - My Portfolio

You know, now that I look at this I realize I should have made a space Yurt because then we could have flown it here to investigate
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I compromised with myself and opted to paint some additional features onto the Mars Satellite view, most notably the Ma'adim Vallis. I am content with the results. I also tweaked a couple other things and may make some additional tchotchkies. And I just saw a typo...will need to fix that too.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	mars-project-WIP-3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	28347  
    Last edited by cereth; 08-23-2010 at 11:06 AM.

My Albums - My Portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast