Thread: In need some of planet icons for CC3

Help In need some of planet icons for CC3

Hello everyone, I am currently in need of some planet icons for CC3. I've looked quite a bit and unfortunately I cannot find anyone. I would appreciate greatly if anyone has a group of planet icons that they are willing to give out. Im interested in creating some space maps, but without planets it would be a pretty empty map hehe.

I unfortunately do not have the funding to pay for anything at the moment, but I would show my gratitude in any way I can if some icons happen to arise.

Thanks in advance!

-Zetsumei
    Last edited by Zetsumei; 08-21-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Google Fu.....HEEEEYAAAAAAAAA!

http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&so...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

A lot of those can be cleaned up in programs like GIMP to put a transparent border around and can then be converted to Symbol/PNGS for CC3.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

How many do you want? How big? What file format?
    I just put together a quick program to generate this - I can make them bigger? Does this sort of thing help?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test1.png 
Views:	551 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	28277
    this is the same thing zoomed in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test1b.png 
Views:	1015 
Size:	966.2 KB 
ID:	28278
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Oh my god crayons you are a godsend. Do you think you would be able to send me the program that makes all of those? Having something like that would be the answer to my dreams.

Crayons uses POV for most of his stuff so I imagine this is done in that. I also know that if you were to download Vue (free version) it is pretty easy to generate a planet. You could do it all day long. Crayons probably wrote the code in POV to generate random 3d spheres and what we see above is the result. I also think that POV is free? Not sure on that however.

I don't know Vue 8 very well but this was easy to create (you can tweak the layers of a sphere and come up with all sorts of stuff, this was just a single layer click, render):

ps. I didn't look for it but I imagine you can create these without the background so it would be on a black surface easy to cut/paste from. Like I said, I barely know how to use the program but if you want to modify stuff yourself it should work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vueplanet.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	350.6 KB 
ID:	28306  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Jaxilon has me "bang to rights!". Yes, it is POVray. It isn't really even "all my own work" - it is largely cribbed from the POVray tutorial - all I did was add lots and lots of random stuff into it. It might also enjoy some further tinkering. At the moment it produces pairs, one "habitable" and one "not so habitable" and do a load of those in a matrix. Gas giants aren't really here but if it's a map of "habitable" planets then gas giants are unlikely to be needed?
    Anyway - what you need to do

a) go to povray.org - and download the appropriate program for the OS you use and install it - yes, it's free
    b) make a directory somewhere, put the attached in it (unzipped)
    c) run povray
    d) navigate to and load the planetgen01.pov file
    e) choose an output size (the drop box on the left lower task bar)
    f) hit run
    g) send me a message if anything goes wrong

there are some instructions in the code too

There's no spectacular license attached to this since I copied most of it from the pov tutorial but giving povray a mention is always nice for the hardworking chaps doing it all.

Here's the code
    planetgen01.zip
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff

Thank you so much Crayons! Have some rep.

You're welcome.
    It's still a rather crude pic'n'mix type thing. People are welcome to improve on it if they want! I reckon you could use it to generate hundreds of small individual png images if the animation aspects of POV were used. That makes it render repeatedly saving each "frame" as it goes. Not used it.
    --

My Finished Stuff