Thread: Cooperative Sci-Fi setting

Default Cooperative Sci-Fi setting

I'm hopping this is the right place to post this.

I'm posting to gauge interest in participation.

I am going to be starting up a wiki setting here soon*. And would like to enlist the aid of the members of this forum to help with veracious aspects of the setting. The setting will be a Space Opera setting. The setting will take place in the mid 23rd century. Earth is represented by the CEC (Confederated Earth Commonwealth).

*If there are any internet guru's here I could use your help in building the site.
    My current thread, Developing a plausible and functional system for Fantasy Economics in an rpg.

This sounds like a lot of fun. I've always thought it would be nice to have more universe-spanning RPG 'world' outside of Starwars and the other few entrenched ones. I'll bet this will take a hell of a lot of work, but inventing your own aliens and their levels of technological advances, it all sounds really cool. I am no internet guru, but I wish you luck!

Sounds interesting. I'll help out if I can.
    M

I'm listening as well. It sounds like a worthy endeavor and something I always wanted to do for my gaming group but just never had the time for. One planet is more than enough to eat up all my gaming time
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Cool.

So lets talk about the foundational stuff. Like the FTL mechanics. Here's my Idea for the fundamentals of hyperspace.

The relative volume of hyperspace is distorted by gravitational fields generated in prime-space. In the absence of a significant body of mass in prime-space, a specific volume of hyperspace a is greatly expanded or stretched relative to prime-space, but in the presence of a heavy gravity field it is greatly compressed.

A ship entering or exiting hyperspace at a point where there is a significant disparity creates a inertial stress that can rip apart or crush a ship flat. So a ship must enter and exit hyperspace as close to the balance point where the relative volumes are close to equal.

More ideas tomorrow. The old man is complaining about people Needing to go to bead. Really though its only 23:55 here...

Large celestial bodies cast "mass shadows" in hyperspace. The smallest celestial bodies that cast a mass shadow are dwarf planets. A mass shadow is the result of the clouds of negative mass that fills hyperspace falling into the gravity wells strong enough to effect hyperspace. Negative mass (not to be mistaken for antimatter) is a form of mater that mirrors the elements of mater from the prime plain and tends to gather in the shadow of its corresponding elements in the prime plain.

Negative mass has proven quite useful in the construction of grave fusion reactors and anti-gravity systems. Negative matter generates and natural negative gravitational force on positive mater, making it ideal as a reaction chamber lining as the negative gravity of a heavy element will cause the Helium-3 fuel of the reactor to fall in on its self making the reaction more efficient.

Negative mass is also useful in the development of sublight space drive systems. Negative matter will fall into normal matter, but its reverse gravity will also cause the positive matter to fall away from it. Drive plates that are composed of an alloy of both positive and negative mass can be arranged so that based on the number of place angled in a specific direction the ship engines will "fall" in that direction.

More tomorrow.
    My current thread, Developing a plausible and functional system for Fantasy Economics in an rpg.

Guild Novice

Oh, now this looks good. Colour me interested. I have GURPS Space 4th Edition, if that's any help.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sounds like a great endeavour, I'll help if I can. I believe setting up a wiki-site should be easy, probably something you can do by yourself by following instructions in the manual but feel free to buzz me if there are problems
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise