Thread: Gimp Difference Cloud Seed Query

Default Gimp Difference Cloud Seed Query

A while back, adapting Ascension's technique to Gimp, I made a planet image which I recently tried to recreate - and failed.

I can follow my own newbie tutorial (glad I made that!) but I used a random seed for the difference cloud in the original and, of course, I didn't make a note of the seed number!

Is there any way to interrogate my old xcf drawing to find out what seed number was used to create it?

Thanks.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

If RobA doesn't know it, it's probably not possible in Gimp.

Depending on the state of your existing copy you might be able to just desaturate it and use that? Otherwise you may just have to figure it's lost and move on.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Well... If you knew the cloud you did the difference against, I could write a script to scale down your image to a small size then generate every possible cloud pattern at that size as well. Perform a difference blend on the two and perform a histogram to determine the varience. That might get you in the ball park.

If you did a difference cloud on a cloud and don;t know either random seed, however, that would probably not be helpful.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Well... If you knew the cloud you did the difference against, I could write a script to scale down your image to a small size then generate every possible cloud pattern at that size as well. Perform a difference blend on the two and perform a histogram to determine the varience. That might get you in the ball park.

If you did a difference cloud on a cloud and don;t know either random seed, however, that would probably not be helpful.

-Rob A>
    Thanks for the offer, Rob, but it's over a year ago. I haven't got a clue.

I was just playing around with clouds and stumbled across one particular combination that gave a banded effect that I swirled into a nice exotic atmosphere, and I didn't make any notes cos I didn't expect to strike gold.

I'd just hoped that somewhere in the xcf file there might be a user-accessible line of text that said 'seed no = xx' or some such. I dunno how an xcf file works.

Probably, as Jaxilon said, it's time to move on.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

I feel for ya. I made this awesome looking water in one of my first maps and I haven't been able to really duplicate it since.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt