Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: August/September Entry: Genericland

Well fiddlesticks I'll just have to see what I can do, I was chaffing a bit at the small size so I think I'll see how well Gimp will treat me in this endeavor myself. will make things a bit easier with my crappy eyesight
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

The shape got a little messed up in my entry ^^' I needed to do a lot of things to it (I wanted it to get some flat perspective thing), so I decided to make a path of the continents and then reshape the path, that way it was still a vector(thing) after warping it a bit..

Krolac: Nice piece! I got to agree with everyone else and say nice colors I also like how you blended them together... The mountains looks alright, but I think they look a bit blurry when you zoom in tho :\ Good luck anyway

Guild Novice

Next update...

I have learned many things while creating this map. For instance, coloring and making terrain is difficult but labelling is much worse! Just finding fonts that look decent on the map is difficult. Finding symbols for cities is difficult. Naming stuff is difficult. I could go on...

Anyway, just for the heck of it I went a little overboard and tried to name more things than I initially intended. I tried to keep the labels for cities, terrain features, rivers and so on different, to avoid confucion over if that particular label is for the river or for the city by the river.

I'm not very fond of the "white dots" that represent cities, maybe I'll see if I can find something better.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A_S_3.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	28345  

I hate the name of your map, but I certainly love looking at it. You've done a fantastic job!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking really good; I like this map a lot.

To spruce up your 'white dots' a bit, you could try a slight pattern overlay to give them some texture.

Might try making them a bit smaller. Try lessening the bevel, and maybe give them a faint outer glow.

Looks amazing. I agree that the icons for the cities seem a bit "chunky;" a lesser bevel would not go amiss. However, the whole thing is just stunning (it's a small thing, but I love the compass rose...it just jumped out at me and said "I'm awesome").

Guild Novice

Well, this is likely as far as I can take this map right now... I reduced the size of the white blobs (gotta work on the symbols until next map) and framed it with a basic B&E frame just to make it look more "finished". Any tips on creating more interesting frames / borders would be very appreciated.

I sure have learned lots of stuff while making this map, and I also had fun in the process. Contest entry or not, that's what matters to me!

Thanks for all tips and feedback guys!

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A_S_4.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	28559  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

that looks really good - love the colors and nice mountains - good luck in the competition
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Lovely map.

Good luck in the challenge.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast