Thread: Gargoyle Tower

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Gargoyle Tower

This is an adventure that I wrote for my latest campaign. I use D&D 3.5, but I think the map and story are adaptable to any system.

I created the map using the latest release of GIMP for Windows. The symbols, I either made them myself (like the spiral staircase) or I imported them from Autorealm.
    The story for this particular map is the following:

A partially eaten cadaver was found by merchants in one of the main trade routes. It was then transported to the nearest town and a cleric using the spell Speak with Dead got the following answer from it.

Stone wings flying free
    Stone wings killing me
    Stone wings death bringer
    Stone wings my family's care giver

From which they concluded there is a possible link here to the gargoyles. They have killed this guy, and have possibly kidnapped his family.

The party will be sent to the tower, but not through the front door (a small army would be needed to assault the tower in that matter), they will instead use the escape route from the tower, to travel up to it.

The escape route, can be draw easily on the battlemat. I originally thought of a long tunnel, 10 ft wide and 10 ft tall, with a few areas where water would rise of to the waist. I think that going through that tunnel it would take the party about 30 minutes to finally reach the tower.

The access to that tunnel needs to be guarded. I will probably throw a very light garrison (possibly only 2 gargoyles)

Once in the tower, this is how the ground floor would look:

1 – Main hall, a gargoyle is chained up to one of the pillars (the star looking things on the map).
    2 – Prisoner Area 1. You find there 3 humans, from the looks of it, they have been tortured both physically and psychologically. There is also some grain, water and feces in buckets inside the room.
    3 – Prisoner Area 2. Only 2 human here. Same description as room 2.
    4 – Torture chamber. Two tables are visible here, both look like have been used for torture. There is one human still alive in one of them.
    5 – Well furnished room. There is one human here, signs of torture a barely visible in his features.
    6 – Altar room. Room where the gargoyles worship their dark gods.
    7 – Kitchen. If this tower has a kitchen, this is the closest thing to it.
    8 – The escape route room. There should be at least 1 gargoyle present here.

This is how the second floor looks like:

9 – A few gargoyles standing around.
    10 – This is the Big Boss' room. There should be a prisoner in there dead, with most of his body eaten out.
    11 – Open air area.

Here is the key for symbols I used.

The information I left out, can be filled in to match your campaign. Such as why the gargoyles are kidnapping people and torturing them. On my campaign, the ones that are tortured are made to serve demons, in order to keep their family members alive. The torture serves to lower their will against the demons.

In my campaign, the gargoyle in chains will help you fight the Big Boss, apparently he was the boss before this dude showed up.

Hope all of this helps.

PS. This map is made primarily for B/W print. If I posted on the wrong forum, please move it to the appropriate one.
    Last edited by ColeonyxOnline; 11-15-2007 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Added the key