Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August/September Entry: Mining Colony 012

Wip August/September Entry: Mining Colony 012

Finally found time to map for fun again. I decided to go with an asteroid mine for this challenge. Thus far I have space and the asteroids (not quite happy with them yet though, may be the lighting...). On my to-do list are some freighters, the mine and associated colony, and possibly some brightening of the whole scene.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MiningColony012.png 
Views:	272 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	28335

That's a cool concept. I like it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yep, I wholeheartedly back this idea - reminds me of my old meteorite mining colony map. I might tone down the little white dots as they're kind of distracting right now. And, as a result, you might have to tone down the gas clouds, too; not sure, though.
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-22-2010 at 11:39 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

Dimmed some of the stars, began adding in the colony; hoping it isn't blending in too much here. Next I think i'll try to add a dig site somewhere and some more civilization in general. I'm also thinking of blowing the colony up into its own map in the bottom left (if i have time).

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	MiningColony012.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	28352

It still seems like the asteroids are hard to make out. Maybe the tint of space can be made a bit more different than the asteroids? This is such a good twist on the map.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd keep toning down the stars and gasses to let the blackness of space come through more...it's all beautiful but distracting still. Just my opinion, shrug. I understand a certain need to fill the sky with dust kicked up by the miners but I'd cut the "extraneous noise" down to focus on the important things. It's called focal point and with so much going on it's hard to make heads or tails of things.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It's too difficult for me to see the asteroids. Try blackening up the background. It's a great idea you've got.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

great idea... but I'm with the others - you need more contrast between space and the astroids - the shapes are hard to make out
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Wip

After much experimentation I've found that it is incredibly difficult to add that contrast with my current color choices... So I'm trying something new. First is the best I have gotten it to look so far in the colors I had intended, second is the beginnings of an attempt to use a color that contrasts more with the asteroids. Personally I still prefer the orange but, with some work, the blue will almost certainly provide the needed contrast (and I can likely remove a good portion of the dust that I needed on the orange for contrast). Either way I'll likely try taking each a ways further until I find something I am happy with.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	MiningColonyO.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	28527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MiningColonyB.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	28528

Yeah, I'm digging the blue better. I definitely like this. It's making me want to see a game built on it...either a tabletop-style spaceship wargame or a Homeworld-style 3D resource-collection minigame (I always liked resource harvesting in Homeworld for some reason. It was fun to suck in the dust.)

I'd suggest making the asteroids more asteroidy. Right now they look a little like rusted flakes of metal, very flat. Maybe if you suggest some rounding by lightening up one site (suggest lower right) and darkening the other a bit. I know light in space is a stark on-or-off sort of thing but you've got some dust and such that might scatter light a bit so could get away with bumping the ambient light a little.

Just some thoughts.
    M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast