Thread: Greek-style map

Default Greek-style map

Hi all,

I'm designing an Xbox 360 game and this map is part of the game. The map will have 12 locations and the player will select a location and play the level. I still don't know if this map can be improved.

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marathon.png 
Views:	273 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	28344

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

Personally, I don't like the Mosaic Tile thing going on. You've got shop good shapes for the land and I like the way the ocean looks, I just think the tile takes away from what looks like an otherwise good looking map. That's just my opinion. Maybe there's a reason why it's tiled like that?
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sometimes a filter can cover up a weak map, in this case the texture-mosaic tiles filter in PS. Personally, I think you should use the texture-patchwork filter since that makes squares which would be more inline with doing a mosaic...the mosaic tiles filter doesn't make anything even remotely looking like mosaic tiles. If you want something awesome looking, with the mosaic tiles aligning properly to curves and stuff, then the tut RobA linked is the best so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice Facebook Connected darren_kitlor's Avatar

+use a Texture->Patchwork first
    +create a new layer.
    +fill it in with white
    +Apply Mosaic to it.
    +drop opacity down on the mosaic layer or play with blending options (such as Color Dodge or Overlap)

Go for subtle over big, bold, obvious filters.