Thread: Islands map

Default Islands map

This job has been taken; please could a kind moderator close it!

Thanks all.
    Last edited by matt_s; 08-29-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Job taken

That would be one of Ramah's maps. You certainly chose one of the greats. There are only a few here that I would say can make that map.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yah, nice example. That map's waaaay beyond my capabilities. Good luck!
    M

Quote Originally Posted by matt_s View Post
    It needs to be 800x600
    Is there a reason it needs to be that exact size? I am thinking perhaps you will be using it on a website? If so, typically, most people map at much larger resolutions so that details can be seen when zooming in(so, if doing for a website, you might want to consider both a screen size scale as a "thumbnail" as well as a click to view larger image for those who really want to see the details up close. Can you give more details as to the use(book, computer game,etc)?

Another thing, is what size are you talking about the area covering? 10 square miles or will this more be a continent or subcontinent size? ie, 1 inch = x miles or something like that.

Finally, though I don't have the same style, you might want to take a look at the links in my sig at some of my very long works in progress to see if they may interest you. I tend to like doing hand drawn maps (which take a while as I move on to other projects) on parchment style. The fairly lax timescale is also in my favor if the style is something you might like, as well, I would donate the proceeds to the CartographersGuild in lie of direct payment.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    That would be one of Ramah's maps. You certainly chose one of the greats. There are only a few here that I would say can make that map.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes it . Thanks for providing the name - though it was kinda rude to post the URL without giving the author credit!

Hi jfrazierjr,

You are correct with your assumption (website)! While a zoom would be nice in the long term for its current use i really just need it to be that size although i appreciate larger would be nicer.

Size wise it just has to fit in certain locations such as a forest, city etc so there isn't really any specific size although out of the two i would say more of a 'continent' type scale.

Thanks for pointing out your work, unfortunately the style is a bit too different for what I'm after, thank you for posting though. Also that was a very generous offer on the donation part.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_s View Post
    Thanks for pointing out your work, unfortunately the style is a bit too different for what I'm after, thank you for posting though. Also that was a very generous offer on the donation part.
    No problem. I could do other styles from the two Garnok maps I have in Progress, but would have to spend some time playing with it. Also note, many of the map elements(mountains, hills, trees) used by the referenced artist I "believe" are available as mapping elements for certain usages(not sure if Ramah released those items for commercial work or not though), so the base map could be possibly be created fairly easily by many people here with some modification to the other stylistic elements. Heck, for that matter, you could probably do a semi nice duplicate of the style if you really wanted to(and by that, many people would be willing to help with comments and critique) and had the time. Of course, I know for some people, their time is worth more than what they can pay for something... just something to think about....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hi all,

Thanks to all those who applied/showed interest - I have found someone to complete the work.

Thanks again,

Matt