Thread: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back when...I...get...the...map...done...

Post Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back when...I...get...the...map...done...

Hi all! Totally new to mapping progs, after a reintroduction to RPGing via my kids who'd seen an episode of Futurama...!

However I have to admit I'm struggling trying to get the mapping stuff to gel and am considering moving back to the old pen and paper. I DID watch the tutorials for CC3 and was pleasantly surprised by how easy it seemed (at least, by how easy the demonstrator made it appear...!) but I just cannot justify paying out the likes of £102 for CC3. Ergo trying to learn Gimp at an accelerated rate!

Tips n tricks are welcome!

Sheelon

What a guy! Welcome Rimsey. I'm not a Gimp person myself but I'm sure they'll point you to all the tutorials here.
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Be sure to check out the tutorials forum (if you haven't already), plenty of GIMP stuff available
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome... and when you're ready to show of your maps - post in a WIP thread for help and critique
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I think CC3 by itself is only about £30 - maybe you were looking at one of the bundles?

But Gimp is good too and free is a hard price to beat. I haven't done much with Gimp, so I'm not much help there. But like Steel General said, the tutorial forum is the place to start.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Well, if you are like me in that you have little or no digital imaging background I'm concerned about your learning Gimp quickly. I did a horrible job following the first tutorial because everything was new to me, including layers. Not a hard concept to get but rough to keep track of and not screw up when you are new. I don't know if perhaps you checked out a book on Gimp from the Library you might learn it quicker or not. Now I am able to use it pretty good but still some areas I don't know about. It's been a few months for me though. I've learned mostly by trial and error and just thrashing around in there. Hopefully, it doesn't show

Try the tutorials, especially anything from RobA (he's our Gimp expert) and if you can follow them through you should have some great results. If not, don't let it get you down, just realize it'll take a bit more practice than going through a tutorial. Keep at it and you will master it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Ace? I highly encourage developing your hand-drawn skills if you can...but give digital a go as well. My first attempts at pure digital weren't so hot so I got out some paper and pencil and went to town (with an insanely detailed 14"x17" city map). These days I find myself going right to the computer, though I'd be more than happy to pull out a pad of paper if I thought it'd benefit the map. So, welcome to the Guild. Let's see what you've got. And. Have some rep for (what I assume is) a Red Dwarf reference. One of my favorite shows though I only have it on VHS and haven't watched in a while. Made me smile.
    M