Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I'm looking for a map....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question So I'm looking for a map....

Hello to everyone. I'm new to the site, but as I've been browsing around, I must say there is some incredible work here. I see maps here that just blow my mind with their quality & creativity, which prompts the title of my post.

I'm getting to run a D&D-style campaign for my family. I've been looking for a map for my game world. Here's some of the key points I'm looking for:

- Continent/world sized map
    - as hi-res as possible
    - unlabeled
    - possibly similar in style to the world of Hyboria from Conan

I've seen a few maps here that come close to what I'm looking for - the main stumbling block is usually the maps are labeled. I don't know if I'd be breaking protocol if I asked for an unlabeled version, or if it's just at the discretion of the artist. I have also seen several members talk about doing commissioned works, but as my financial situation isn't at all secure, I don't think I can afford to go that route. So, any suggestions/advice/offers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by RobA; 08-24-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Tagged

Hi!

I moved this over to the map Request forum. if you check the sticky at the to pof this forum you will find guidelines on making a map request that should provide enough information to get a response.

Numerous unpaid requests get filled, especially if your requirements aren't too stringent. If you are looking to use it for personal use, any of the maps from the WIP forums may be suitable (pre labelling) and often permission can be requested for such use.

(P.S. you can only acces the private message system once you have 5 posts, so to communicate with members you will have to provide an email address or get posting )

-Rob A>

If you can link an example that always helps. A quick look up of Hyboria maps showed a few styles. I have seen a few people ask for unlabelled maps so that is probably ok with most artists. Or you might provide location names and they can change them to whatever you want.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks for moving my post to the correct thread - like I said, new here & I hadn't seen the request forum yet. I think I'll try looking around the WIP stuff first, & then if I can't find anything, I'll start a new thread with the necessary & appropriate info. Thanks again.

Update: after looking around the site until my eyes got bleary, I have found 2 maps that I would like to use for my game. I sent out requests to the artists for permission to a) use their map in my game & b) have an unlabeled copy. Ideally, I'll get two 'yes' answers & be forced to decide between a pair of amazing maps. But even if only one says yes, I'll still have a great start for my new campaign. Should they both decline, then I'll just keep searching.

Allow me to say this is an incredible site, with some of the nicest forum members I have ever seen. This site will be in my Favorites folder for a long time.... and should I ever have the time/nerve to try my hand at mapmaking, I know where I'll be coming for help!

Thank you all.

ps - If anyone's wondering, the maps I decided to pursue are Valcia by Auth, and Belgariad/Mallorean by Gidde. Incredible stuff

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...cked-Sandstone
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...an-Fan-Project
    Last edited by synjon; 08-27-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Sorry I haven't posted recently - just got married, & have been busy getting everything back to normal. At this point, my search continues. I haven't heard back from the artists I contacted for permission to use their maps, although I'm sure they're busy like everyone else. And although I've seen some beautiful work in the WIP section, I just haven't found quite the right map I'm hoping for.

At this point, I guess this thread can be closed- not sure if I'm going to continue searching the WIP section, or if I'll submit a formal request; if I do, I can start a new thread with the necessary info. Thanks for all the help/suggestions so far, I really appreciate it.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Congratulations on your wedding! I'm sorry you didn't get any replies to your messages. It seems a shame for you to go away empty-handed, particularly as this is for a family RPG game. I've knocked up a quick map in fractal terrains for you which I hope may work as a stand-in until you find something better. I've saved the files so if someone wants to do a better job using the same landmass it won't be too difficult to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	synjon rende.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	521.9 KB 
ID:	30732  

Thanks, it's pretty cool - maybe I can work off of it for now....
    (grinding noises as the gears start turning)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast