Thread: Greetings Cartographers!

Question Greetings Cartographers!

Interested in upping my map-making skills. Recently bought a tablet to (hopefully) make things a little easier. Tried to download the GIMP, but something went wroong with the installation and it didn't work, so I'm going to go with Photoshop instead. Was wondering if GIMP tutorials are usable (for the most part) with Photoshop? Are there brush packs for Photoshop that I should be getting? Any tips would be helpful. Great website!

Don't worry about brush packs until you've got the basics of PS figured out. Just a suggestion. You can download them if you want.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

There will be some differences between GIMP & Photoshop tutorials (primarily layer effects). Create a WIP thread for whatever you are working on and pose any questions you have there, someone will be along to answer before to long.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I try not to use any add-ons in my PS tuts, just straight out of the box PS stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome.

I mostly use the brushes that came with PS; there's a pretty wide variety. I will admit, however, to using a brush pack that came with a Gnomon Workshop video I bought myself last winter. They're pretty awesome, as is the video...I'm not getting paid by Scott Robertson, just shilling for free, but check it out sometime: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto...GITAL-DOWNLOAD
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild, I'm also working mostly with the brushes supplied with photshop, but have added a few since then - mostly effect brushes. But you can do everything with the stuff in the box
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise