Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: August/September Entry: The Hallowed Lakes of Caprion

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that, in this instance, they're too big. Of course, the first thing I would do is to blur them a bit to see if they can fit in better and if that didn't work too well then I'd just shrink 'em down then blur 'em. Mainly, I'd use the plain black n white ones instead of the color ones so that I can add more subdued colors. If you kept these then the map itself would have to be more colorful...one or the other.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm with Ascension - try reducing the colors in them to fit the colors of the land, way to colorfull now
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Desaturated the colors a bit, and made the icons a bit smaller. I also ran them through a grain filter and added a .5 pixel blur to try and get them settled into the map better... what do you think?

*Edit* Just noticed I forgot to untick the global light box, and my mountain shadows got changed. Hate it when that happens...

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lakes of caprion.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	569.8 KB 
ID:	28566  
    Last edited by industrygothica; 08-29-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Definitely looking better. Are you planning on greening it up at all? All that water makes me want some green in there...even though I really love the colors so I'm not sure how to do it without messing up all that orangy-yellow mojo.
    M

I tried some green, but it didn't really work. I'm sure it was just the style. I don't think there would be too much green anyway, since Caprion is a desert region... which is why these lakes are considered hallowed.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin pretty good there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Maybe if you give those city markers either a shadow or just a darker nimbus around them, something to tie them to the map more. They look a lot better since you grunged them up but they still seem a little too "plonked on" to me.

Love the palette of your map by the way. Beautiful.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

This is looking amazing!. I love the title. The color scheme sets a wonderful mood for the map and really draws me in. I agree with Ramah that the city markers need a drop shadow to anchor them to the map. I always find that extremely difficult to do effectively. Good luck.

This is definitely my favorite map in the competition. Great job.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm with ramah, try to ground them more and I think you'll get there - definitly helped that you changed the palette
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Some shadows, as requested. I tried to add them several updates ago, but they just weren't working for me. They look better this time, I think. Also added a border. This one might be close to finished, but you never know what can happen in the weeks to come...

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caprion.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	28585  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast