Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: August/September Entry: The Human Diaspora

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Keep on truckin'...

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HumanDiaspora4.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	28536  

Love it! You're so getting rep from me. I already want to play a game there. Great planet names...many are not so terribly predictable, which is a good thing!
    M

edit: BTW, you're not even done and I've already stolen this for my "inspiration" folder to show to my co-DM, who will get all inspired about sci-fi gaming again.
    Last edited by mearrin69; 08-28-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks, mearrin, I appreciate that.

Anyone notice any typos or anything? I've gone over it several times and don't see any, but the person doing the creating is probably not the one that should proofread it. And of course, the alien names are open to interpretation.

I'm wondering what else I can put in at this point; I was considering showing major trade routes and possible zones of influence outside of the 'established' borders.

I'll give it a once-over for typos but I didn't see anything as I was panning around.

As for what to add, I'm not sure. Wouldn't want it to get too cluttered with routes and such. How about a couple of "tourist attractions"? I'm talking about the "Seven Wonders of the Galaxy" or something like that: 1) the ringworld at Farpoint, 2) the imperial shipyards of Diogenes (which fill the whole system), 3) yadda yadda. I'm picturing maybe even a little callout with a "photo" of the item in question. Dunno. Maybe that drops the serious factor too much (don't want to make it a tour guide). You could at least note a couple of features like this, however...
    M

Edit: Okay, error noted: You've got "coreward" and "spinward" pointing away from each other. Traditional sci-fi directions are "coreward" pointing toward the core (duh) and "rimward" pointing 180 degrees opposite that. Then there's "spinward" pointing in the direction of galactic spin and "anti-spinward" or "trailing" pointing the other direction. I see you've got "The Trailing Outback" in the correct position if up is coreward and clockwise is spinward. Does that make any sense at all?
    Last edited by mearrin69; 08-28-2010 at 08:24 PM.

****. I knew I messed that up and forgot to change it before I merged some layers; I'll see if I can correct it. Thanks for the catch!

What I thought about doing was putting a picture of each capital planet in a little box near each world, but that might be too cluttered; we'll see what happens...

Minor progress; I corrected that embarrassing mistake that mearrin pointed out, and added some 'imperial zones of influence'. Next I'm going to work up some planets and see how they look superimposed on the main map.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HumanDiaspora5.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	28546  

Looking good - I like the way you marked the zones. Regarding names: Seems like a lot of the systems in The United Republics are named after authors. Are they all? I'm not familiar with some of them and was just wondering. Also. I bet the Clanholds would be a cool place for a campaign.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

niiice... love the "possible location of old earth"
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Looking good - I like the way you marked the zones. Regarding names: Seems like a lot of the systems in The United Republics are named after authors. Are they all? I'm not familiar with some of them and was just wondering. Also. I bet the Clanholds would be a cool place for a campaign.
    M
    A lot of them are author's names; there's a couple more scattered here and there, plus a couple of other easter eggs.

I was hoping to post a final version last night, but PS kept crapping out on me; I'll try again today, saving after every action, and see if I can finish it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast