Here a small test for layered PDFs:

6x6 Dungeon Tile

My questions:

- does this layered PDF work?
    - do you like the style of this tile?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Asuryan,
    the layers work fine and I like the style of the tiles to .. and nice logo (not sure that you should be able to disable the logos though - but then again - the GM would probably scissor it of anyway
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Works for me! May I ask what program you used?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks good to me. I'm not totally convinced by the printer friendly version though - it looks very overexposed, and the actual edges of the flag stones (along the grid lines) aren't very clear. Otherwise - looks great. I'd definitely be interested in knowing how you created it. Any chance of a miny tute? Repped - and welcome to the guild.

As for the style - it's very nice and would work well for a room. If this was to be used as part of a larger area though I'd have to say that the central glow is going to look a bit odd when you lay a few of these out side by side.

It looks great to me.

I have never used Adobe to create anything it's just too expensive. I have used the reader and I often convert my text files into .pdf files but I still don't think I understand what a "layered" .pdf is. Looking it up it seems that you can convert a layered image such as we create in PS or Gimp or whatever else, into a .pdf document and that is now called a layered .pdf? I was hoping that a layered pdf would be more like those old anatomy books with the clear sheets that you could turn one by one to see all the internal organs and so on...

If anyone cares to point me to a better understanding, thank you.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thank you so far.
    Would you like to have walls in a pseude-3D-style? They can be cut away if you don't need them...

I used Photoshop, 3dsmax and InDesign.

@torstan
    You are right that the printer friendly layer is some sort of blurry and overexposed (that is because it is not just a grayscale image of the color layers).
    I think i will replace it with a hand-drawn (ols-school/Heroquest) version. I am currently working on another test tile where you can see the effect...

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

3D walls would be fun, but it's going to depend on how the tiles will connect to each other. If you can get the transitions to work then that would be great.

Hand drawn flags would work really well.

Here is a new Example with walls (that can be cut off if you don't like them) and a hand-drawn/retro-style printer firendly version:

6x6 Tile #2

Wow. That's neat. I missed these before somehow. Really like the black and while retro tiles. Have some rep...and, please, post a tutorial on making layered PDFs at some point.
    M