Thread: new world project WIP

Guild Apprentice

Default new world project WIP

i have been really getting into gurps forming a new group
    so decided to create a new fantasy world to campaign in the main details of play are fleshed out but I really want to have a detailed world map so this is the progress so far.
    I started with fractal terrains then a lot of layer work in photoshop about 60+ layers so far.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2y.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	807.6 KB 
ID:	28467

Guild Apprentice

Wip

I went ahead and used the base map to use my old world Valahn for the game map (convenience really).
    went for a very old world look while using the hex grid for easy use in play.
    anyways it is a work in progress.
    always happy to hear ideas and suggestions.

Name:	map 3copy copy.jpg 
Views:	946 
Size:	742.7 KB 
ID:	28506

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

WOW! That is fantastic! No complaints from me at all. Repped.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

that looks really cool, but if I should make some critique then it would be the labeling - those straight names don't fit the style of the land, have them follow the contours of your world and it will look sooo much better. And the dropshadow on the worldname - not fitting at all. But looking really good and looking forward to seing more
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Apprentice

Wip Kalhinar experiment

I thought to try and break up the continents for the game. I collected aerial photographs of forests and grasslands and farms etc then went to the back yard and took photos of some large rocks and any texture that interested me, including a stucco wall on the neighbors house. then in photoshop I shrunk them down to look like terrains and tiny tiny trees. Then turned each texture into seamless patterns.
    made a layer for each pattern and bucket filled each one keeping in mind how they may be in nature. Stone and rock to the bottom then grass then trees etc.
    to the very bottom I placed my terrain then using masks-hide all on every layer above.
    then using the brushes I set the paint to reveal the textures I want and then l painted them on where i wanted.
    it is not perfect but It was fun and i'm sure it can be messed with to get a better look.
    anyways please suggest ideas that you have.

Name:	Kalhinar1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	28599

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

always fun to try out another style on your map, I personally loved the earlier one more, but I like the new one too - played with that style myself
    Critique: the wood edges seems a little blurry, the ocean "bubbles up". And on thing that is a "sin" in my eyes is the title "Kalhinar", you don't stretch letters, you space them
    But great work all-in-all and good show going to collect textures
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise