Thread: New Map need some advice

Wip New Map need some advice

This is a new map I started working on a few hours ago. It is a rocky desert locale. There are icons representing encounters. Not sure if I will keep those or not.

My old computer died and I JUST got a new Photoshop CS5 in today. Been months without PS so very very rusty.

SO, too dark, too light, too rough, whatever, let me know please.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forsaken Tomb area Map.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	524.0 KB 
ID:	28483

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

to small... ... I wanna zoom in and see the details. But at this size my critisism would be that it looks a little shiny - colors are good though and I like it a little dark - gives some ambiance
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

You could go for some sand where the shiny bits are.....I've done a quick and dirty which is hopefully self explanatory and can be improved upon. Rather than using the colour adjustment layer you could just use a solid colour in the layerstyles and choose 'colour' for the blend mode there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desert.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	624.5 KB 
ID:	28489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layers.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	28488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rock layer.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	28487  

Wow, those some big dang scorpions. Looks nice!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think I've only uttered the line "too dark" like once cuz I loves me some dark moody ambiance. So if I were going to do anything I'd go darker but, really, nothing needs changing at all, IMO...unless you can throw some boulders in here n there. Very nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks, I like that sand added. No idea why I did not add any sand! And they ARE giant scorpions after all! lol

This was an attempt to do a proof of concept for me. That is why the image is small. I just wanted to see if it would work well enough. I am torn between two map styles for what I need. This style I know and understand, at least I think I can do well enough for my needs. The other style I have never tried. More of a "hand drawn" look, similar to what you see in the front of the Lord of the Rings and other such epic fantasy books. I picture this style as if on a parchment, with vague inverted Vs for mountains, wavy lines for waves on a river, soft wide Cs on the side for hills, with a soft shading throughout. Never tried that though! lol maybe try and find a tut on that style if there is one... then try it out and compare...

Quote Originally Posted by Krome View Post
    Thanks, I like that sand added. No idea why I did not add any sand! And they ARE giant scorpions after all! lol

This was an attempt to do a proof of concept for me. That is why the image is small. I just wanted to see if it would work well enough. I am torn between two map styles for what I need. This style I know and understand, at least I think I can do well enough for my needs. The other style I have never tried. More of a "hand drawn" look, similar to what you see in the front of the Lord of the Rings and other such epic fantasy books. I picture this style as if on a parchment, with vague inverted Vs for mountains, wavy lines for waves on a river, soft wide Cs on the side for hills, with a soft shading throughout. Never tried that though! lol maybe try and find a tut on that style if there is one... then try it out and compare...

If you take a look at my sig, there is a link to an old tutorial for just that style. And in my WIP maps, there is a partially completed map of Baldimar which uses that exact style. I have figured out some better ways to make the mountains look more isometric in a few doodles, but nothing down on the computer as of yet.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.