Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Long Term Doodle - Plumton, the town of Prunes

That's a Worf speciality more then Klingon....
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Businesses often have signs. In a pseudomedieval setting (which this looks to be), such signs are often pictorial in nature, due to the low literacy rates. The signs can be fairly large.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Businesses often have signs. In a pseudomedieval setting (which this looks to be), such signs are often pictorial in nature, due to the low literacy rates. The signs can be fairly large.
    took the words right out of my mouth - signs will solve your problem crayons - a big fish to show what to buy in the shop. And while your at it, you can add
    smith
    inns
    jail
    park
    well
    dyers
    carpenters
    chuch/temple
    goldsmith
    city hall
    butchers
    general store
    magicians guild (if its that kind of world)
    dragon stables (if its THAT kind of world *lol*)
    wagon maker
    sawmill
    forgot the name, but those guys who works with curing hides and such
    and of course...
    the Cartographers Guild
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The word your looking for is Tanner's tilt. But usually tanner's are located in poorer sections of cities or slums because they can create pretty stinky areas and the aristocracy don't want that near them.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Blog Entries

Hehe. I love what you have so far, Crayons.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but the obvious buildings you will need (this being the prune capital and all) is toilets. Lots and lots of toilets. Large public ones, small outhouses etc.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Some great ideas coming out here, thanks guys! I've put in the blacksmith, corral (uncensored! not for the prudish!), a jail and some prune industry sheds. Another major export of the town would also be Plum Brandy so there's a Still sort of place too.
    Toilets! Of course! I had already put one small outhouse at the back of pub on the left side of the gate but I definitely need more! Oh, speaking of the gate, I've added a tax man there, the brandy is taxable.
    I've done a bit of forward planning (just a little) and decided that there should be a Cartographer's Tower over in the posh area so I've reserved it's space there so that it doesn't block the view of other buildings.
    Any ideas for little "vignette" scenes for people to be "up to" things also welcome!
    cheers!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scribble04.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	508.2 KB 
ID:	28575
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Quote Originally Posted by Crayons View Post
    corral (uncensored! not for the prudish!)
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Crayons View Post
    Any ideas for little "vignette" scenes for people to be "up to" things also welcome!
    Since you went there with the stables I reckon you should have a little back-alley action with a strumpet and her customer. Some passed-out drunks would be a good idea. We don't seem to be near the water? Sailors in town if so...maybe army if not. Sheriffs on horseback? Town watch shaking someone down? Nobleman and entourage pushing some serf off the walk? A procession of self-flagellating monks?

Well, there you go...a stream of sort of wacky ideas. That's what happens when I'm up at 04:00 working (or trying to avoid work, more like.)
    M

Well, I wasn't going to go "there" again... I figured a randy horse wasn't too risqué but I amsensitive to the multifarious mores of the internet! I reckon I could jemmy in a bit of hanky panky somewhere. Resolution is a kinda limiting factor!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ah Tanners yes... thanks geamon, and yep... down the stream with those guys... along with other smelly industries

This looks really good Crayons... would love to see your drawings when you aint just doodling
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Pickpockets would have to be rather exaggerated to be visible, but there could be a mugging in progress. Children playing some sort of ball game in the street. Buskers. Street preacher or other speaker. Maybe an artist working outdoors. Food vendor with a pushcart. Someone sneaking along the rooftops.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast