Thread: WIP - The Northlands

Guild Apprentice Kaiser MacCleg's Avatar

Wip WIP - The Northlands

Not the most imaginative name for a region ever conceived, but there you have it.
    The Northlands form part of the same continent as the Kingdom of Nebūr, which was my first attempt at mapping with GIMP. Anyway, without further ado -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Northlands1..png 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	24067

I'm really pleased with the way it's turning out at the moment, but any suggestions and criticisms you have are more than welcome. Thanks again to RobA for his fantastic tutorial, which has been a massive aid in creating both these maps.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Pretty nice. The trees could be lighter, my opinion, but otherwise it's really good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nicely done. I agree with Ascension on the trees, but I particularily like your iceberg/ ice float things.
    I'm new here. Don't kill me, please!.

Thanks for the comments! I did wonder about that myself - black text on dark green isn't the most legible option.

Very good. The forest seems good enough to me, and I normally hate forests (the process of making them, that is)
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

So do I. That's why I cheat, and just add some noise and a blur to solid colour. I don't think it looks too bad, despite it's simplicity.

Anyway, labelling is coming along well. I've also reduced the forests' opacity, to make things easier to read.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Northlands2..png 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	24092

Guild Novice

So I know I'm late to the show, but I wanted to add a comment or two. Thanks for the tip about the forest being noise and blur, it does look good (at least at this scale) and sounds really simple. Overall it's a great map, but I had to really try to read the 'Ice' part of the 'Sea of Grinding Ice,' since its out over deeper, darker waters. Since your last post talked about labeling, I thought you might like to know.