Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional - Anyone own this book?

Question Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional - Anyone own this book?

Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional by Akkana Peck.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...d=8LABJAIXH7KC

I was wondering if this book was any good for learning GIMP. I have a chance to pick it up dirt cheap with a coupon, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has it and found it useful. I've flipped through it briefly once, and I was very impressed with the quality of the color pages inside.

Thanks in advance.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Guild Journeyer

Not being a GiMP user or ownign the book, I can't give any direct advice. But I find that I can't pass up any chance to buy training on a software package cheap.

That also explains why I have a shelf filled with books for Photoshop 6.5 and 3D Studio Max 2.5. Those were the current versions when I started learning them.

I have it, and it is quite good to learn how a program like GIMP works (lots of stuff on layers, masking, etc.) Lots of focus on photo editing/touch-up and "web" graphics. If you have specific questions on content ask, and I'll look it up (though I see the amazon link does have the index and TOC online).

Not that much on using it to "create art"...

(Now that would be a book I would buy ie- "The Digital Artist - Creative Techniques Using GIMP")...

-Rob A>

Thanks for the info - I probably will pick this up eventually. Unfortunately, I had some unexpected expenses today. The money goes out faster than it comes in lately.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    About time you wrote one, Rob!
    Only if you edit it Ravs!

-Rob A>

If you build it, they will come.
    jaerdaph

Post I went to Barnes and Nobles yesterday...

Since I'm not yet a major GIMP user, I did not purchase the books, however, I did find "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional" and I did glance through the book.

Although it looked interesting, there was another book right next to it, that seemed really interesting, and perhaps more useful - Mastering GIMP Effects.

I'd say that second book looked better the first - IMHO. More step-by-step tutorials and deeper use of GIMP techniques.

I purchased Digital Horror Art - as that is one my interests...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I spent more time flipping though my copy and it has a few more good items I missed out before.

It deals with 2.4, the current version - so is useful to explain the new features.

It explains the new colour profile/management that GIMP supports as of this version.

It gets into the details of writing custom scripts, i.e. programming gimp to do macros, or whatever.

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast