Thread: First Map - Ausus

Default First Map - Ausus

This is my first map, but I urge you to tear it apart so that I can get better.

It was made for a friend of mine who runs an rpg. When critiquing this map, I am asking you to please not consider the locations of the water sources. She gave me a rough, circular design and I made more realistic coastlines and added my own effects. Please also consider the fact that this is a fantasy world, so the location of the desert does not make 100% sense.

Ausus Map

Creation Process:

The water, hills, mountains, deserts, etc. were each put on different layers and I used varieties of gradients and lighting effects to make them contrast each other.
    Last edited by SRSleasman; 08-27-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The shelf looks a lil too smooth. Break out the eraser and pick any tip that you want then give it some scatter, spacing, etc. and rough up the edge of the shelf (the seaward side not the land side).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks nice, and yes, the shelf could use some breaking up and then I'm guessing you'll later on wanna work on putting in cities, names, a border, a compass, a scale
    When you post images in the forum, it is nice if you post them using the forum system - that way a thumbnail gets created and we're not dependent on other sites existence to see what people have done in the past. Good work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Two points. The water running through the middle looks like a river which is odd - I know that might have been part of the shape but you cant reasonably have a river connecting two seas. We have oodles of posts about rivers here so its a common theme. The next one id suggest is that it looks like the island is sunken into the sea. This is because the shadowing light source is from the bottom right to top left. If you place the light source top left and shine to bottom right it flips it over so that the island looks raised over the sea bed. Its because were all used to the sun being above us so stuff looks right if lit from above. You dont have to take the advice but if you try it I am sure you will see what I mean. Otherwise I thought it was a great start to your maps here - and welcome btw.