Thread: File type restrictions

Blog Entries

Default File type restrictions

It would really be useful to be able to upload SVG (.svg/.svg.gz/.svgz) and GZipped Tarballs (.tar.gz/.tgz)

The former is the standard web format for vector graphics, and the latter is the standard archive format on Unixlike systems (and is supported by just about all archive software)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

and while we're at it .rar also
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I can see the value of SVG, but would hesitate to allow additional compressed file options other than the existing zip (which available on all platforms as well).

I'll discuss with Arcana.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

.rar isn't very important - its just what I usually use - but winrar supports zip as well
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

If you use 7zip then it supports ZIP, RAR, GZ and what I think is a fairly new one of LZMA. Its for windows and *Nix OS'es.

My 2p is that we should support SVG as its a cross platform format if poss but I am not sure about extra zip formats since we would have the reverse of people not being able to open GZ files here in windows. RAR sucks big time. Its an propriety undocumented format and your running the long term gauntlet about wrapping stuff up in it IMO.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-30-2010 at 01:29 PM.