Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on adventure front cover layout...

I think you might want to wait until you get the cover art. Unless it's going to be the same sepia tones ink levels it's hard to see how it will play with the rest. Also, I guess it depends on what you want the main focus to be. At the moment the first thing my eye focuses on is the figure, then it slides down to the bright yellow tree, then reads the title, and then looks at the picture of the ships. My wife now, I asked her to let me know what she saw as she looked at it beforehand: the figure, Title, Logo, then picture.

So, the figure is clearly the prominent item and the Logo jumps out stronger than the picture.

I think the Title could jump out at you more so it'll be good to see what you come up with. Shouldn't there be some Bamboo somewhere on this cover? Maybe as a border or you could put a Bamboo mat behind the Title to help it jump out? Anyway, I'm not an expert in marketing but there you have my attempt to help.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

@Jax: I have no ETA on cover art alas, so I'm hoping to have at least an idea of what I'm going to do ahead of time. Neat idea with the bamboo. I'll play with it. I've got a DVD of Chinese stock art that I've used in places in the adventures internal layout. Maybe I can raid it to see what's in there. I bet there's a border or something in there I could maybe figure out how to use.

Thanks everybody, for your comments. I can't address all of the issues raised just yet but did some playing around. I think this version's easier on the eyes. The title pops more, there's no second title, logos are more pleasingly placed (to me), and the statue is a bit less prominent (though it *is* the eponymous Emperor's Stone, so it's supposed to be pretty prominent). Suggestions welcomed.
    M

Edit: Wow. Side-by-side, the difference is pretty dramatic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CotES-Front-Cover-2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	778.5 KB 
ID:	28565  

This one is way better, it really pops imo.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree, this is significantly better than the first one.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I also like this one better. Although having said that, I'm not sure about the jade statue you have on it. It just looks stuck on as if it doesn't belong in this composition. To me the whole thing would look better if that statue was just removed. I guess it would look too boring then though as a game cover? Probably, although personally I think it would look lush.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Hmmm. You make a good point. I actually took the basic idea from the Paizo practice of putting a key element of the adventure as a "callout" on the cover. Issue #1 of their AP Rise of the Runelords, for instance, places their iconic fighter, Valeros, in that position (link).

Their modules (link) go for full-page cover art and campy titling (like B movies - Invasion of the Ant People!) and it works well. Of course, *they* have good art. I don't (yet anyway). Have to think about it. If I can get an artist that can generate a really good piece of cover art I think I might be able to lose the statue. I have a couple of scenes, illustrating the action of the adventure, that would probably stand alone. Maybe the statue could become an ominous shadow or something...or go away altogether.

I was working with a freelancer, who generated some really great concept portraits of a couple of my NPCs, but I haven't heard from him in a while. As a back-up, my co-DM is hooking me up with her old friend, who has apparently done work for both DC and Marvel. I'm a little excited about that concept...if I can afford him and if he can do non-comic art.
    M

Wow. Thats alot better! I wish the coverart had been bigger tho, alot of green here...

Noted. Assuming I get an artist to create something that I feel good about taking up more cover space with I will certainly expand the size. Thanks!
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

its looks really good, much better composition. Concerning the statue I guessed that you were going for that Paizo look - but I agree that if you can get a cool cover picture you don't need it - so I hope you will get just that
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

I think the image of the junks and the sunset etc. looks great and I love how it's grungily blended in with the green backdrop. To me it's very evocative but I guess maybe it doesn't say "exciting rpg."
    To me the difference between this and the Paizo cover with the big guy is that he is larger, taking up more of the image, he's more detailed and in a much more dynamic pose. He is obviously the focus of the composition but also, he could be and I suspect IS part of the background image. Like it was originally one full image and they masked of the top and bottom thirds and then put a glow around him to lift him from the image.

Personally speaking, I don't like the modules covers with their full images. I think they look a little tacky. Hehe.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast