Thread: Nation of Breda

Banned User

Default Nation of Breda

My most recent project, this nation consists of three principal islands: Breda: the most populous island and home to the nation's capital city, St. Paul and largest metropolitan area, Aberdeen-Portsmouth-Oxford; Wright: the smallest and least populous island; and Mann: the largest island in area, but dominated by mountains and an active volcano and thus largely wilderness, although the western coast is densely populated and home to Wellington, the nation's third-largest city. The nation is located somewhere in the south Pacific and was most likely a British colony at one time and consequently roundabouts and European interchange designs are prevalent. The nation's roads are divided into five classes and each one is identified by it's own unique color-coded signage. Motorways are blue, primary highways are green, secondary highways are red, regional roads are yellow, and local roads are white. Motorways are identified by the label Mx beside the international symbol for limited-access highways, primary and secondary highways are identified by a black on yellow Australian-style shield affixed on the appropriate background color, and regional and local roads are referred to by name or primary destinations. All motorways and the Route 99/Manton Bay Tunnel are tolled. Prior to 2007 all motorways on the Isle of Breda operated on a system-wide toll ticket system, however the M2 extension. M8, and M9 were opened using electronic toll collection via overhead gantries and in 2025 the entire system on the Isle of Breda switched over to this system eliminating the need for toll booths. The M7 and M10 motorways employ mainline toll booths. Driving is on the left; distances are in kilometers; national speed limits are 120km/h: motorways, 90km/h: rural, and 40km/h: urban, however dual carriageways are usually posted at 100km/h and urban arterials at 60-70km/h.
    I began this map series in 2003 with three pencil drawings and then proceeded to scan these. After digitizing the 2003 map of the Isle of Breda I created a unique map for each year before, until 1979, and after, until 2024, by editing the base map and each subsequent new map, ending up with 46 unique maps (and possibly more in the future)! In the interest of saving space I have selected an assortment of 10 maps from this 46-year span in order to illustrate the development of the island's highway network. After finishing the 2024 map I began making multiple updates without going to the trouble creating a new map for each subsequent year and have tentatively labeled this iteration as the 2035 map. Following that you will find my first attempt at vector-based map with minimal map updates, labled as 2040. Below, you will also find an incomplete digital version of the 2003 map of the Isle of Mann. This map represents an official transportation/tourist map, and the interchange representations are not to scale for clarity's sake.

Breda 1979
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breda1_1979.jpg 
Views:	989 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	28586

Good lord. You are clearly quite mad...and also an excellent cartographer. Have some rep!
    M

Banned User

Thank you sir!

Guild Apprentice

That is a sweet map ! I like the write up to go with it. I am not sure if I would want to live there though as every bit of travel seems to be electronically tolled. I hope that this is not what Australia (or New Zealand) will become, although the "pollies" here are very keen to toll every bit of new road. With a bit of luck the Australian and New Zealand Politicians do not visit this site! Repped . (I hope it worked)
    Surveyor

OMG."46 maps and possibly more in the future". That's crazy. (meant in a good way though) but I'd certainly never try to do something like that.
    Either way repped.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That is some amazing work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.