Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trainings map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Wip Trainings map

Hi everyone.

The following map was originally meant to be solely a training map, but I think I could be using it for an RP now that I have it.
    I'm aiming for a style similar to this map by Ascension, hence the general resemblance in shapes and stuff. Please let me know what you think of it so far

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RP_map2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	464.8 KB 
ID:	28587
    Last edited by Rongar; 08-30-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Typooooooooooo

This is amazing! I think it will look even better if you added in some rivers (assuming there are some). Your textures are amazing too: any chance of you sharing those? I like to horde ones that really catch my eye...

Thanks for the feedback!

The textures are actually from google *cough*. For the forest area I downloaded a large picture of a tree(top) and added it as new layer set to multiply. You know, something like this. Works well enough for someone who is as artistically challenged as I am. As for the mountains; those were made with the help of one of the tutorials in the tut section, so no real texturing there.

Now heres a quick update. Added rivers and played around with colors. Any advice on how to improve?

Name:	RP_map2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	479.3 KB 
ID:	28595
    Last edited by Rongar; 08-30-2010 at 04:17 PM.

And yet another update with parts of the labelling - just so I get the feeling.

Now I'll finally go to sleep.

Name:	RP_map3.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	492.5 KB 
ID:	28597

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd make the rivers more green, like in the coastal area. My map had more blue in the coast so my rivers were more blue, yours has more yellow so I think going green would look nicer...like a dark or medium teal. It's, also, getting darker as you do more so I'd lighten things up. Other than those two things it looks pretty good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well, I don't know how you think about a contoure of 2-3px weight around the land. I find it strange that I see many maps without contour. Do only I like contoures? I think a contour gives the picture the necessary pep. But that is just me ...

Anyway, the map has a nice overall look. Wonderful colors and a very cool watertexture!

Quabbe

Thanks you two.

I changed the river color to fit better into the overall color scheme, lightened the whole thing up a bit, and added an outline to the landmass. In two versions. First one has a white and the second one has a black outline. Which would you prefer?

Name:	RP_map3a.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	504.8 KB 
ID:	28618

Name:	RP_map3b.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	501.0 KB 
ID:	28619

I just find it a bit sad, that it's a little blurry overall. It looks good from afar, but when zoomed in to 100%, it doesn't look all that great. Next time I'll probably shoot for a higher resolution again, even though it's going to be a test of patience since my comp can't really handle it. Meh.
    Last edited by Rongar; 08-31-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Blog Entries

It's saying invalid attachments for me.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thanks, should be fixed now.

Either you've got a river going underground for a bit, or you've got a gap you need to close before a tributary joins the river near Sandar. It's hard to see in the most recent version, with the rivers and the land pattern blending a bit, but I can still spot it when I look for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast