Thread: Tileable textures that stay seamless when rotated?

Default Tileable textures that stay seamless when rotated?

So, I am working on a dungeon tile project, and I've hit a snag. While there are a lot of amazing texture programs (I use Genetica) that create amazing and seamless textures, they are only entirely seamless when the textures are "slid" and not rotated. So, let's use cardinal directions for the metaphor: the "north" side tiles perfectly when touching the "south" side of the same texture, and same goes for the "east" with the "west" but I want to create a truly seamless texture so that aligning, say, 'north' with 'west' or even 'north' with 'north' will still look natural with no interruptions in the texture.

I can probably blunder through it myself, but if anyone knows of any tutorials, techniques, or software that automates this, I would love to hear about it!

Wow. I don't know of anything that creates rotatable textures automatically. I imagine you can do it by hand but it'll likely be a bit of a pain. Make two edges seamless (or use a generator) and then copy those two edges to the other sides and blend them in. Pattern avoidance will be tough, however, and I suspect tiling will be pretty apparent unless you're really careful. I suppose this'd rightfully be called a geomorph generator...and if someone made one I'd buy it for sure. What a valuable tool for gaming.
    M

Blog Entries

You know my seamless tile tut. If you follow it all the way through then you get seamless tiles in one direction. If once your finished you then take it, make the 4 square patch again but this time rotate the top right and bottom left only 90deg then (I think) it ought to be right for rotation too. Id have to try it to be sure tho.

mearrin69 - I thought about that and I think that would work to make any two sides fit against any two side, but I am not sure it would make, say, the two "north" parts look seamless when they were touching, if you catch my meaning. Or maybe I am not wrapping my head around it properly. I'll experiment a bit and see what I turn out.

Redrobes - thanks a ton, I'll check it out and try it right away! Either way, it give me a place to start.
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 08-30-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessEnthusiasm View Post
    mearrin69 - I thought about that and I think that would work to make any two sides fit against any two side, but I am not sure it would make, say, the two "north" parts look seamless when they were touching, if you catch my meaning. Or maybe I am not wrapping my head around it properly. I'll experiment a bit and see what I turn out.

Redrobes - thanks a ton, I'll check it out and try it right away! Either way, it give me a place to start.
    That's right. For the two "same" faces to be seamless to each other, every edge has to be a mirror image of itself and the same as each other.

This could only work if a pattern is fairly non-directional and having no visible shading/lighting direction.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah.. thats a difficult one - RobA is right, it would only work with very simple patterns - like dirt or stone - as soon as you go more complex I believe the mirroring would show in the tiles - unfortunatly
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Wouldn't it be easier to tile the pattern and then put the drawing on top, or create a mask of everywhere you haven't drawn then use that to ensure the tiled pattern is only shown where you want it?