Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feedback please!

Quote Originally Posted by drow View Post
    if there's something i can do to make your process easier, let me know.
    I appreciate the offer! I don't think there is a good way to set up a macro or anything. The original maps produced by the Donjon for the screen are indexed .gifs, at 72dpi. Boosting them up to 300dpi for easy calculations and nice looking text completely throws the ratios off, so they scale for crap and don't stay square.
    Linux geek: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04) AMD 64bit
    CodeMonkey: PHP, MySQL, Perl

Join the Vintage Games Revolution! The Citadel of Chaos
    Send your novice friends to the Hall of Apprentices to ease them (back) into Vintage gaming!

Quote Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
    I appreciate the offer! I don't think there is a good way to set up a macro or anything. The original maps produced by the Donjon for the screen are indexed .gifs, at 72dpi. Boosting them up to 300dpi for easy calculations and nice looking text completely throws the ratios off, so they scale for crap and don't stay square.
    if you scale up, doing so by integer multiples (i.e. 72 x 4 = 288 dpi) may work better.

alternately, i could add an option to the generator to create higher resolution maps to begin with.
    which might be generally useful, anyway....

there's now a checkbox labelled "scale map for print" just below the map style dropdown.
    checking that box generates an image four times larger than normal.
    i'm sure some of the styles will look a bit daft, since i can't scale the source textures.
    but anyway... perhaps that helps?
    >>< drow ><<

Quote Originally Posted by drow View Post
    if you scale up, doing so by integer multiples (i.e. 72 x 4 = 288 dpi) may work better.

alternately, i could add an option to the generator to create higher resolution maps to begin with.
    which might be generally useful, anyway....

there's now a checkbox labelled "scale map for print" just below the map style dropdown.
    checking that box generates an image four times larger than normal.
    i'm sure some of the styles will look a bit daft, since i can't scale the source textures.
    but anyway... perhaps that helps?
    Son of a...! I just checked your sig. YOU ARE THE GUY THAT WROTE IT. Where is that slap-head smiley when I need it??

I was going to try a different resolution next, I just wanted to avoid the math that went with it. The 288x288 thing works out pretty well, the grid at 40x40 works beautifully with a 2 pixel offset on width and height.

I just tried the print images option; the room numbers are tiny, but that isn't a problem for me. Otherwise, it hits a 40x40 grid in the GIMP perfectly. That is awesome.

If you like, I can make up some SVGs or something for the dungeon symbols and shoot those over to you, unless you are saying you can't scale the source textures for some other technical reason. I wanted to shoot an email over to you and discuss a few things anyway, I just hadn't gotten around to digging up your address on the site over there. Drop a PM on here if you are interested, and thanks for looking into my queries!
    Linux geek: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04) AMD 64bit
    CodeMonkey: PHP, MySQL, Perl

Join the Vintage Games Revolution! The Citadel of Chaos
    Send your novice friends to the Hall of Apprentices to ease them (back) into Vintage gaming!

If there is any possible way to make these divisible by 50, that would be extremely helpful. Many items made for virtual table tops are scaled for 100-200 px per inch. Most GM's use maps at 100px per inch for a good combination of size vs pretty(size is important when transferring over the internet.)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
    Son of a...! I just checked your sig. YOU ARE THE GUY THAT WROTE IT. Where is that slap-head smiley when I need it??
    hah, well, yes.

I wanted to shoot an email over to you and discuss a few things anyway, I just hadn't gotten around to digging up your address on the site over there. Drop a PM on here if you are interested, and thanks for looking into my queries!
    i don't recall if my email address is actually on the donjon website, but its my forum username at the site domain.
    >>< drow ><<

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12