Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback please!

Default Feedback please!

I am currently in the process of re-working some base maps from the Donjon (outstanding random generator, btw) and put up a sample page with no decorations. I have several other maps to work on before they are ready for release, but they are all about this size or larger.

It is fairly rough, obviously, and I will be making some further changes as I don't care for the separation between rooms of one square in all cases.
    Dynamic Delve Sample page

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I've always liked straight-up random dungeons so I think it's fine as is. I used to make mine just like this. And it's what's inside the rooms that counts, not what the rooms look like...namely monsters to kill and booty to take. Modern maps seem to be all frilly with lots of colors and textures to make it seem real but this old-school style still has its place among us old-timers. So I can't point you in any direction I'll just say keep on keepin on.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I've always liked straight-up random dungeons so I think it's fine as is. I used to make mine just like this. And it's what's inside the rooms that counts, not what the rooms look like...namely monsters to kill and booty to take. Modern maps seem to be all frilly with lots of colors and textures to make it seem real but this old-school style still has its place among us old-timers. So I can't point you in any direction I'll just say keep on keepin on.
    Thanks! Do you like the idea of having one blank version and another completed version, or would you just want the completed version ready to use?
    Linux geek: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04) AMD 64bit
    CodeMonkey: PHP, MySQL, Perl

Join the Vintage Games Revolution! The Citadel of Chaos
    Send your novice friends to the Hall of Apprentices to ease them (back) into Vintage gaming!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't play D&D anymore so someone else would be better able to answer that question but for what it's worth I'd take a labeled version cuz I'm lazy.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I don't play D&D anymore so someone else would be better able to answer that question but for what it's worth I'd take a labeled version cuz I'm lazy.
    I am counting on 'lazy', it seems to be the one constant force that drives innovation.

Thanks again for your critique!

Send your novice friends to the Hall of Apprentices to ease them (back) into Vintage gaming!

Quote Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
    I am currently in the process of re-working some base maps
    cool. i think both fill a clear need. i stockpile blank maps to use when i need them for a game, where i have a clear idea of what's within the dungeon but no time to draw it. random dungeons are for the rest of the time, where i have nothing planned and just need something to start with. they often evolve as the PCs hack their way through and i tweak things, and by the end may seem more like something i'd actually designed. i also stockpile finished dungeons, but use them less often than purely random dungeons. just a personal preference though, i know other DMs who thrive on them.

from the Donjon (outstanding random generator, btw)
    thanks!
    Last edited by drow; 09-03-2010 at 12:55 PM.
    >>< drow ><<

Well, depending on your PDF creator, you might be able to have layers for that information. Basically, the end user would hide/show layers as wanted.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Well, depending on your PDF creator, you might be able to have layers for that information. Basically, the end user would hide/show layers as wanted.
    Right now, I am just using OpenOffice to dump them into a PDF format, but that was one of the options I was looking into. I am still puzzling out what would be easiest for the end user, three pages, or one page with doors on a layer and room numbers on a layer.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by drow View Post
    cool. i think both fill a clear need. i stockpile blank maps to use when i need them for a game, where i have a clear idea of what's within the dungeon but no time to draw it. random dungeons are for the rest of the time, where i have nothing planned and just need something to start with. they often evolve as the PCs hack their way through and i tweak things, and by the end may seem more like something i'd actually designed. i also stockpile finished dungeons, but use them less often than purely random dungeons. just a personal preference though, i know other DMs who thrive on them.
    Well, they are pretty easy to tear out, but the re-working in the GIMP is kind of labour intensive at the moment. They don't scale exceptionally well, for one thing. I am sure I will stumble on a solution at some point.

thanks!
    Welcome! Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by StormBringer View Post
    Well, they are pretty easy to tear out, but the re-working in the GIMP is kind of labour intensive at the moment. They don't scale exceptionally well, for one thing. I am sure I will stumble on a solution at some point.
    if there's something i can do to make your process easier, let me know.
    >>< drow ><<

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast