Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: August/September 2010 Lite Challenge entry: Lookout Islands

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

little bit more - increased lighthouse size - added boat tied to dock. working on house for lighthouse operator to chill out in. Think i'm settled on this overblown perspective, so i removed those mountain thingys. The title is just a placeholder and will change eventually.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lookout_isalnds_Rev-02.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	28817  

Nice touches. It really looks good

Blog Entries

Beautiful so far. Looking forward to seeing this progress.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Still messing around with this one, I just don't know if I'll have enough time to finish. I guess it's sort of near a finishing point now, but I had bigger better visions in my head (don't we always).

Anyway - the back story is that a father and daughter spend time together on a desolate group of islands tending to a lighthouse. Yes thats my daughter. I was going to dress her up in a sailors cap and take a picture, but just didn't happen. Anyway - I was hoping to add a bit more flare - like one of the islands I was going to add an in-ground pool - you know, for those hot days (don't ask me how I was going to get electricity to the remote island to power the pump...er....) And I wanted to add some satellites to an island for a real lookout center - you know to spy on Russia.

I'm going out of town this weekend, and the contest is up Wed - I will probably not have too much more time - but hoepfully I can add a bit more before the time's up. You know I can't get that New York map out of my head !!!

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	lookout_isalnds_Rev-03.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	29073  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looking really pretty! I love the watercolour feel to this.

Great job. I love the colors and, as Torstan said, the watercolor feel you've got. I wouldn't mind seeing some trees and other small features...but their absence doesn't make the map any less lovely.
    M

This could definitely be called finished. However, on recently named features, I wouldn't drop out the apostrophe from possessives in their names, hence I'd expect "Anna's Island" and "Anna's Light" rather than "Annas Island" and "Annas Light". I'm also going to ask if "CLEMONTS FFRRY ISLAND" should be "CLEMONTS [or CLEMONT'S] FERRY ISLAND" as "FFRRY" is a bit odd.

Thanks for the encouragement & feedback - I'm the type-o king. Here's some more changes. Moved the house up. Adjusted lighting/levels, added some trees, water-routes, took away some of the map text making it busy. Added a rocky-cliff style around the islands trying to make them more ominous. I want to fix up the title a bit next, as well as work on some labels & names. I'm really not happy with lookout islands, but I guess I'll keep it for now.

Name:	lookout_isalnds_Rev-04.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	323.3 KB 
ID:	29107  

I like it a lot better with some trees and the buildings you've added. Very nice.
    M

That is looking really good
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast