Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: August/September 2010 Lite Challenge entry: Lookout Islands

RJ, this is just beautiful. It has such a clean, lighthearted feel to it! Really amazing work.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessEnthusiasm View Post
    RJ, this is just beautiful. It has such a clean, lighthearted feel to it! Really amazing work.
    Thanks a lot R.E.

I guess this is it. The contest ends tomorrow so I'm done tinkering with the map.

Again - it's sort of an exaggerated perspective view on a group of islands - themed around a lighthouse and the sole keeper. But what's this isolated keeper up to? Why the enormous satellite dish? Perhaps he gets 250 High Definition channels on his solar powered television. Perhaps he's really a spy? And what's up with Anna?

As I said, this was sort of an experimental practice map for me (aren't they all though really?)... So the elements are sort of scattered. Anna is my daughter - and was sitting with me one evening while I was working on it - so i brought her into the map. The parchment was originally going to be a ghost story about the Lighthouse, but I didn't want it to turn haunted, so I just made up some text about Anna and me. A lot of my maps end up being really soft/pastel in colors. This is no exception.

Thanks to all compliments.
    My fingers are crossed - there's some sweet maps in this challenge !

### Winner ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lookout_isalnds_Rev-05_FINAL.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	333.2 KB 
ID:	29271  
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-29-2018 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Absolutely beautiful!!. I had to hide my map from my little girl so as not to give her nightmares..lol but I called her up on my lap to look at yours. she said "Daddy it looks like a picture from one of my books its pretty..." Now to me that's the greatest compliment anyone can get....
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Wow, dude. This has really turned into something special. Think I repped you before...but here's some more.
    M

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Thanks Guys - glad you like !

This is gonna be good

(edit) - starting working on new york today - finally

Mr. Beals,

I'm a young adult who just started working on a personal project...kind of a big dream of mine for a while now. A fiction novel of sorts for my friends and family.

For this book, I thought it best to put an illustrated map, as many authors do this for reference sake. My research led me to this site while my curiosity led me to this piece of work.

I was wondering if there is any possible way I could ask you a few questions.

How in the world did you make this map? (I have CS4)
    Are there any tutorials you'd recommend or can offer?
    If no answer can be given for either of the above...how much would you ask for your project file of this project? And the permission to edit it so it will not be a total rip-off of this masterpiece.

I hope I'm not any bother to you sir - but I deeply admire this creation!

Please let me know your thoughts,

halfsuperstar@gmail.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123