Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: August/September 2010 Lite Challenge entry: Lookout Islands

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Default August/September 2010 Lite Challenge entry: Lookout Islands

Well I decided to give this contest a shot. I really wanted to practice some techniques and what better way - right? So here's a rough start. I want more zoomed in map, not quite arial view but a hybrid blend of both - with exagerated land objects. So far I've just applied some layer styles, and used my tablet just a bit. Already there's things that I am going to change. For example - the lighthouse needs to be more of top-down view, so it doesn't look so weird. And the patch of forest is really an experimentation I'm trying to mimic from mearrin69's cool map The Docks of Haibianr

So this will change a lot as I find time to work on it. Most of the time, I don't have a clear direction of where my map will end up. It just sort of evolves into what it becomes. Critiques always welcome.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lookout_isalnds_Rev-00.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	285.5 KB 
ID:	28604  

Hey! Did I hear my name being taken in vain in here? Looks pretty cool so far, RjBeals. Actually, I think whatever you did to get the land and water looking so painterly would look better on the forest than the realistic textured style. What if you did it with the texture and then applied that technique? Don't know if it'd work (because I'm not sure how you did it) but I think that watercolor paper thing you've got going on there is a winning style.
    M

Guild Novice

Looks very nice, and I agree, the paper texture thing looks awesome! By the way, you may want to remove the surplus 'A' in Islands

Thanks guys. I agree that the "painterly" effect is nice - and a good word to add to my vocabulary. Obviously I need to work at my spelling

The forest will be changed to match the style of the map. We'll see what I can come up with.

Yep, I really like the watercolor look you have going on here myself.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Well I may have lost the watercolor look a bit - but I can get it back if needed - it's just a grunge layer really.

Here's a few more edits. Redrew the lighthouse with a better perspective. Just still experimenting a bit, trying to figure out the lay of these islands, but overall just having fun. Thanks for the compliments all.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lookout_isalnds_Rev-01.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	267.4 KB 
ID:	28629  
    Last edited by RjBeals; 09-01-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added the "WIP" tagline

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's a good-lookin lighthouse...the whole thing is lookin good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really nice - loving the lighthouse
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Wow great lighthouse! I love the map's style. I can't wait to see the finished map.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

I like the new lighthouse and its position makes more sense to me - on the edge rather than in the middle of the cluster of islands. The docks top-down perspective is messing with me a little but I'm not sure how you could represent them in the same perspective as the lighthouse positioned as they are. I think you'd have to move them to the left or right of the islands to be able to get away with drawing them that way.

Have to say I liked your old titling better...though it was a little light. Maybe you could turn down the opacity of your new title a little bit?

The map's looking great in overall. I like the soft feel and gentle color palette. Keep going!
    M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast