Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Coppernight Hold

Thanks for the comments and first of all I have to say that I think that both of you are talking about different things.
    @Jaxilon are you talking about a grey color( the normal color for the floor ) which is noticable in every wall but most in those two you pointed out.If yes then this is what has happened.At the beginning I had decided to make the background texture looked like it leaked into the walls giving the walls an aged look but I overdid the distortion and growing of the selection that I had and that's why it came out like that.
    @geamon I believe that you are talking about the shadows for the corners of the walls.There I did the shadows with the dodge/burn method on a 50% grey layer but i shall to work with them again cause they stand out to much.ALSO I forgot to set visible the layer of one the dropshadows to which are on the eastern walls and that made some of the floor imperfections show out like some grey lining.

P.S. About the tutorial it's here.I found it when I first started checking out cartographer's guild but I just dumped the project cause I was wasn't understanding enough parts of it but now I think that I'm going to redo it.
    Last edited by Avengeil; 09-12-2010 at 06:11 AM.

You explained exactly what I was talking about and that makes sense. You might want to just do the walls with their own coloration to age them. Unless you want them to match the floor in which case you just need to extend the coloration so it's more even.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I have fixed many of the minor problems of the map(forgetting to make visible a drop shadow layer) although I can't fix the matter Jaxilon pointed out because due to my inexperience I put the wall texture, the wall outlines and the background color all in one layer.
    Also I made the rubble and I am mostly happy with it but couldn't the anything better with the stairs.The statue that I added is not mine I got it from geamon-he found it at RPGshare.
    If I have forgotten anything important please tell me.I'm not going to add anything to this map but I might improve something if I can.

Now I'll follow all of Torstan's tut and then come back to do encounter 1-3 Audience Chamber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Hall of Ancestors.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	457.0 KB 
ID:	29175  
    Last edited by Avengeil; 09-12-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Hmm, if I was going to mess with the wall coloring I would just use my square selection tool and cut out the floor and put it on a new layer. That way you have isolated the walls. Then you might just try adjusting the color of them to see if that will suffice. I've done exactly what you did a lot of times. It does requires a bit of cut/paste to get your layers back though.

As far as the textures, outlines and background you are probably best of just recreating them. You have to decide how far you want to go as well.

This looks good and is fully functional so it may not be worth it for this one.

Nice work!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks Jaxilon but I think that I'm not going to work any more on the wall textures for this map.Either way I'll have that possibility in the next one in this dungeon delve so I there is no need for me to unnecessary ( in my opinion ) work.

One thing you want to try to get into the habit of doing in the future is using Channels. Anytime you make a selection to "cut" out some shape or something like that, go to the Selection menu and Save to Channel. A channel is nothing more than a special place to hold what will in most cases become layer masks. It also allows for very easy re-selection of a specific shape as you can right click on any channel and channel to selection will create a selection for you.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

If only I had thought about that things would be easier.Oh well next time.

I'm continuing with the third encounter of Coppernight Hold:Audience Chamber.
    Walls, background, floors, doors and shadows are done.My only important concern at the moment is if the doors seem a bit too wide.
    Now to fill up the map with objects I shall have to make a wooden armchair and a fur mat.Even though I downloaded CSUAC I don't want to use like it like that because I will be getting the feeling that what I have made will not be completely mine.At the moment I have no idea on how to draw those objects as my drawings skills are not that good but I'll give it a a shot.

C&C welcome and appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Audience Chamber Phase 3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	395.7 KB 
ID:	29316

Edit: It ends up that I didn't have enough time to follow torstan's tut.Thanks god there are no stairs in this one.

And with this post I think that I have completed the encounters for the Coppernight Hold Dungeon Delve.
    Now for the last map,audience chamber, I finished up the adding of objects to the map and redisigned the doors.Also I made a minor update on the Halls of the Ancestors map adding blood stains to the pile of rubble.
    When I have some spare time I'm going to post the maps in the finished maps sub-forum.
    Thanks to everyone who gave their opinion about the maps (especially to jfrazier,jaxilon and geamon for their endless explanations).
    C&C (even at this step) is welcomed and appreciated.
    Enjoy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encounter 1-1 Kobold Defenses.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	29407 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Hall of Ancestors.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	455.7 KB 
ID:	29405 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Audience Chamber .jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	512.2 KB 
ID:	29406

Edit: Posted in the finished maps forum.
    Last edited by Avengeil; 09-19-2010 at 02:33 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234