Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terra Nuova - work in progress

I've done some work here but I've also been struggling to come up with color combinations for the look and feel that I'm after so I decided to play around with some black and white. I like the look of what's here so far but am now struggling with what to do with the mountains.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terra Nuova (Custom) - 1 B&W.PNG 
Views:	55 
Size:	483.9 KB 
ID:	1787  
    Skycast

Wild Die - a random die roll of a blog | Savage Septentrionalis - Savage Worlds play-by-post

Looking very, very good. CC3 POWER!

If you have the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, check out that woodcut thing I mentioned earlier in the thread.

And, if you want to "antique" your map, try this:

1. Activate Sheet Effects
    2. Under Effects that apply to... select Whole Drawing
    3. Add RGB Matrix Process effect
    4. On the RGB Matrix Data Entry dialog box, select Sepia from the Predefined... pull down list and click OK.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

This looks terrific! I especially like the way you have added the shading to the dark sections of the frame (there must be a proper name for this - Intended Project #563 - A post which sets out map nomenclature)

The choice of font is really lovely too.

As an experiment you might want to try adding the most subtle bit of noise to the sea - it may look good (it may not) but worth a try.

I'm so glad that SOMEONE is drawing a map which isn't photorealistic for a change! :p

Great stuff, I'll be following this one closely!

Ravs

The sepia-toned version is attached, pretty nifty looking...thanks. I'm not at all happy with the mountain symbols; ditto with any tree symbols that I've tested out so far.

I could find my copy of the Tome of Ultimate Mapping on my hard drive but am re-downloading it right now so I'll check it out.

Name:	Terra Nuova (Custom) - 1 B&W - Sepia.PNG 
Views:	71 
Size:	444.2 KB 
ID:	1810  
    Skycast

Wild Die - a random die roll of a blog | Savage Septentrionalis - Savage Worlds play-by-post

Reminds me of this one I quit because I could not do the mountains right. Hope you can figure it out.

Name:	Arch - MercatorBig.PNG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	1811  

Well, as Bohunk did, I'm having nothing but problems coming up with suitable mountains to fit the style. So I switched my focus to morphing the geography of this alternate history New World even further from the original map. I still have some holes to fill, but I've also started placing various location names and such; most will follow real world cultures and/or locations, but it may end up being a mish-mash of eras.

As for the map, I may switch to simply one of the existing CC3 styles, perhaps one of the ones from Symbol Set 1.

Name:	Terra Nuova (Southeast) - 1.PNG 
Views:	56 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	1868  
    Skycast

Nice map, Skycast! I really like the darker seas. Man--your setting really intrigues me!

Don't get too frustrated, though, and finish her up--I didn't think the old symbols were THAT bad...

Keep working and let me know if I can help!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Skycast -- Looking at the sepia toned map, I think that your mountain symbols are fine; they just need to be tweaked a little. One problem is that their outline is a much thicker line than anything else on the map. If you thinned the outline width, I think that they'd look better. Also, the line that crosses the bottom of each really separates it from the surrounding land. I would suggest eliminating that bottom line. I really think that if you did those two things, the mountains would look much better.

I think you're really being hard on yourself. These maps are beautiful. For the right mountains look up Eriwn Reisz. His mountain style will fit with your style of map.

Well, I've been playing around with a few things and wanted some symbol opinions if you gents would be so kind. Let me know which of the mountains (M1, M2, M3) and tree (T1, T2) symbols you prefer on the following map.

Thanks...

Name:	Terra Nuova - Symbol Test.PNG 
Views:	155 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	1948  
    Skycast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast