Thread: Hello, and thank you.

Default Hello, and thank you.

Stumbled here while looking for inspiration for a hand-drawn map I'm working on. This is a lovely site.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome aboard! When you have a chance, post a thread in the WIP section so that we can see your map.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

I would like that very much, thank you for the invitation. I'll have to see if I'm able to scan the picture, as I'm working on 11 x 14 paper. I've seen from the examples presented here that many people work entirely in PS/GIMP/CC3, etc.; is there any precedent for doing hand-drawn work as a base, and then moving into digital? I'm unsure how to marry the two styles, as 6B lead for mountains vs. a perfect brush-set might look disjointed.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by geth View Post
    I would like that very much, thank you for the invitation. I'll have to see if I'm able to scan the picture, as I'm working on 11 x 14 paper. I've seen from the examples presented here that many people work entirely in PS/GIMP/CC3, etc.; is there any precedent for doing hand-drawn work as a base, and then moving into digital? I'm unsure how to marry the two styles, as 6B lead for mountains vs. a perfect brush-set might look disjointed.
    Well, a lot of my older maps were originally done decades ago as pen-&-paper maps. I then scanned them into the computer to import into CC3 to then remap.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I think I'd like to try this, if only to see how the digital media deals with shading and whatnot. Somewhat (read: hugely) intimidated to start messing with CC3.

On a side note, I'm immensely impressed with the community you have on this forum; I'm an admin for a largish MMO forum and after spending a few days here I'm rather tempted to ban my entire userbase and start from scratch. Please don't stop what you're doing!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*lol*... well, this is a rather nice community we got here - don't think you'll find a better one anywhere on the web ... and welcome. If you're into handdrawn I guess you would be more confortable with Photoshop or GIMP and perhaps a tablet for drawing. Questions can be posted in the how-to section and your works in progress goes in the WIP for help and critique ... and we all love handdrawn maps as well ... but personally I find it hard to live without CRTL+Z
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Heya, Geth, and welcome to the Guild.

My first map here (link) was hand-drawn on 14"x17" smooth bristol, scanned, and painted in PS. I sketched it in pencil and then inked it with pigment liners from Staedtler. My scanner's only (US) letter sized so I had to take the drawing to Kinkos (a US copy shop) to have it scanned. I think it cost me just a few dollars. Be sure to scan it in greyscale (I did black and white and it was a bit of a mess) and then bring that in as a layer in PS. Put it at the top of your stack and use the Multiply blend mode. I kept mine at 100% to start with and then turned it down to as low as I could live with for the final map. The nice thing about bringing your drawing into PS is that you can fix all of your inking mistakes! If you need some more help I can try to offer some more guidance...though I suspect others here have more experience than I.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your stuff.
    M