Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First land of Ascala

Man, Hyptosis, I love the way this is looking. The isometric view terrain features create a great illusion that the whole map is being viewed from an angle. The look and feel is absolutely unique and the land features look very good. I look forward to see how it looks after you have done some more blending.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

ravells : That is the cinnamon desert, that's toast man =P

Seriously, was trying to build a platofrm-like type of stone area, where the stone has formed steps or shelves out in the desert. I know. Need work. =P
    "Everyone in time has said, there comes a time to join the dead."

http://www.lorestrome.com/

Ah ok.

Warm lands! I'm really enjoying your comic strip, btw. Beautifully drawn and a really entertaining story too.

Hey, thanks a million! I've got so much time tied up into that comic it's obscene. =P Like, two years of my life.

On map related work...

LOVE the green (forested?) mountains and hills and the desert hills. I like the look of the columns and the plateaus.

My one critique would be that I believe such drastic changes in terrain would have to be caused by something. What I mean is that there is a patch of hills, then a patch of plateaus, then a patch of columns. It looks like it was put down by a person as opposed to happening naturally.

Yeah, you're totally right. Overall I'm not too pleased with how this map is coming out, I think I'm going to ditch the flat stone things, they're just not working like I was hoping, I'll replace them with some more of the stone collumns.

You could create a buffer zone and mix the desert and columns: either some of your stone pillar cover in sand or some small sand pillar growing and transforming as they go up to become full stone columns.

But all in all, we (my little daughter and me) really like your map. She just can't wait to see the whole finish version.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Hyptosis View Post
    Yeah, you're totally right. Overall I'm not too pleased with how this map is coming out, I think I'm going to ditch the flat stone things, they're just not working like I was hoping, I'll replace them with some more of the stone collumns.
    I like the round stones - maybe you could lighten them up a bit to make them look more of a part with the surrounding sand? Or how about using them in a canyon feature - perhaps an extension of the green canyon into the desert?

The environments on this map are what's getting me: the fact that desert gives way to rock then to green, etc., all in straight lines and without any mingling create an unbelievable, overly simplistic zones. Also, the geography seems unrealistic to me (ex: why would a peninsula such as that be desert?); but perhaps this is a magical setting?

I think the prime value of this map is in your having created the map features (the dunes, the mountains, etc.), vs. the map itself. I do look forward to seeing your work on it, though!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Well, also you have to realize how big this map is in actual size, plus color change differs depending on the time of year. I usually exagerate an area to display it's most common color change, but at 100% I don't think the color changed areas seem so sudden, regardless, it isn't done. =P I come form the school of painting maps in crpgs, and they make some of the most insane temerature changes in the world. X_x Thanks guys, more soon. =]

I'll post a 100% shot too if I remember.
    Last edited by Hyptosis; 12-01-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast